THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I like this idea too, thanks and will definitely try. I use a fire starter to light the chimney (name of brand escapes me) so I’m ready to go there.

Again, thanks everyone for your help!

There is nothing wrong with using a chimney to get the fire started faster. You just need to realize that it doesn’t hold enough fuel for anything but the smallest grills, so you need to add more charcoal on top of the lit ones after you dump it.

Using a lighter cube will work but it takes much longer.

Tried using lump years ago for direct grilling but so much popping that my meat would get coated with cinders . Gave up on it and havent missed it.whn not using the one touch performer with gas assist i use a electric heater to lite my charcoal slow but works well

Personally, I think you already did everything right. Yes, you could use more fuel, wait longer, or pike it up in you grill, but IMHO I agree with Tarheel that you got a bad batch. Lump should burn just fine, and hot, the way you lit and used it.

Maybe try these other techniques until you get thru this bag, then try another brand?

I've only ever had success using lump for grilling hot and quick on my kettles. Even for that, I have to let it burn for a while so the sparking settles down. It quits too soon for long cooks, for me. I've given up buying it and stick to charcoal.

Personally, I think you already did everything right. Yes, you could use more fuel, wait longer, or pike it up in you grill, but IMHO I agree with Tarheel that you got a bad batch. Lump should burn just fine, and hot, the way you lit and used it.

Maybe try these other techniques until you get thru this bag, then try another brand?

Thanks. I just wish it wasn't a 34lb bag :shocked: It'll be fun to "learn" with though!

Back