THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ordered a cover from Amazon...wife likes this one better than the officeil Smokehouse cover...because it matches the patio swing/furniture. It's vented at the top and fits perfectly around the cooker...just falls a foot short at the bottom. Has UV protective coating and a waterproof liner. I will still hit it with Scotchguard every 6 months or so.

Attachments

• xGel4lX.jpg
    xGel4lX.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 38
  • PLXjLFx.jpg
    PLXjLFx.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 36
Have you thought about making a smaller coal/wood basket with like 2" tall legs that would stand on one of your flat pans?
Remove the wood pan there now. Allows more space to preheat logs.
It would contain your coals and keep your logs more together for more even burn?
Or you could buy the new LSG fire management basket. Just add legs/bolts/nuts
I'm deciding if I am going to order a Smokehouse. Planning out some of my mods. :tape:

Last edited:
Or you could buy the new LSG fire management basket. Just add legs/bolts/nuts
I'm deciding if I am going to order a Smokehouse. Planning out some of my mods. :tape:

I've looked at that one...just not sure I wanna spend $75 plus $20 shipping on a fire basket...I think I can get my guy to put something together for me for maybe 60-75, no shipping.

(1) A smoke ring is nice, but a totally secondary consideration to the smoke flavor. Presentation is important sometimes, but taste trumps how it looks every single time IMHO.

(2) Looks like a successful cook in every way, other than the obvious omission of a fatty.

(1) I agree...taste and texture is what matters most...but it's nice to see a smoke ring.

(2) I figured that, at 6' 0" and 255, I qualified as the "fatty"! :heh:

I don't preheat splits........ in the Smokehouse or BoomShuckaLucka - just leave Fb door partially Open for a cpl minutes.

I cut out the center of the firegrate and tac'd in 2 layers of expanded criss croosed for ash to fall better but still hold red coals.....

that LSG basket would work Well.

I'm too Lazy to cut splits down and too poor for a Kindling Cracker so I burn fireplace size splits......... Mine is 20 x 24' - or 20 x 20" can't remember (I let a Good friend borrow it LongTerm since I got BoomShuckaLucka) - store models are 24 x 24"

CZAoYroh.jpg

qldIo3Ah.jpg

sRYo1mKh.jpg
8qJxTixl.jpg

uCaIxiCl.jpg

Last edited:
I've looked at that one...just not sure I wanna spend $75 plus $20 shipping on a fire basket...I think I can get my guy to put something together for me for maybe 60-75, no shipping.
I threw this one together from scrap metal I had laying around to test in my narrow vertical cabinet. Worked great. For those who did not see it in another thread.
Made a bit larger one yesterday. A bit wider at the bottom for a bit more ash fall thru. I just haven't tested it yet.

Attachments

• wood basket (2).jpg
    wood basket (2).jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 14
  • wood basket (1).jpg
    wood basket (1).jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 14
Back