First proper attempt at brisket!

TheFury

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Fury
So I went to Whole Foods last weekend and they had brisket. Fantastic! But the sirloin steaks were marked down so I got a honker and reverse seared it last weekend as some of you may have seen in my last post.

Went back this weekend to get the brisket and... they only had flats, for 9.99/lb no less! Shouldn’t have waited.

Not to be deterred, I had the butcher cut me a ~2.7lb chunk of flat and made my best attempt at it just now.

a0045c2640d7e38347749e577f1ee97f.jpg

After dry brining overnight, seasoned with ground pepper and garlic powder with a token dusting of Harry Soo’s beef rub. I generally stuck to Steve Raichlen’s method for brisket flat.

a417fa4182434a3e095d8cf187424db0.jpg

5 hours in at 225 over pecan wood, wrapped it up after stalling in the high 160s. Steve Raichlen says wrap at 175, but I didn’t have all night!!

An hour later it was over 200 and probing about as tender as it was going to get.

Next I rested it for an hour before carving.

9445931651a8cab8f99266c5b2d98bd5.jpg

a16e08f9b005a3272a4a3001067c9daa.jpg

Overall I give myself a 6/10. The flavor was right where I wanted it. Nice and sharp bite from the salt, pepper and smoke. When I imagine how a brisket should taste, this was close enough to make me chuckle. The problem was the tenderness and juiciness. The edges were nice and tender and the burnt ends were fantastic, but the meat in the center had a lot more bite than I had hoped. Couldn’t easily cut a slice with a fork. And, while pretty moist, I had hoped for an absolute gusher of meat juice.

Of course I’m my own toughest critic and my wife was really into it, but I’m already looking forward to my next try!

Last edited:
When they say "wrap at 165/175" they are talking about big 15 pound packers. A little 3 pound piece of flat is going to have a totally different set of rules. You're just trying to keep a balance between cooked long enough so its not chewy, and not too long so it's really dry.

Next time go hot and fast to get a nice bark (165F IT) then go low and slow and wrap and try to hold it at that 165F range for 4-6 hours. It will be tender and moist and have a nice bark.

I,m wondering if you could have cooked it longer if the centre was chewie.
Still looks pretty good tho

Next time go hot and fast to get a nice bark (165F IT) then go low and slow and wrap and try to hold it at that 165F range for 4-6 hours. It will be tender and moist and have a nice bark.

Oh that’s an interesting technique. So you’re saying serve it at 165 rather than carrying on up to ~200?

Oh that’s an interesting technique. So you’re saying serve it at 165 rather than carrying on up to ~200?

Most people will wrap at 165 because of the stall, when cooking seems to slow. Wrapping retains some moisture and allows for a braising process. I start to probe for tenderness around 190 and usually pull when it's in the 195-205 range. Each piece of meat will be different.

When they say "wrap at 165/175" they are talking about big 15 pound packers. A little 3 pound piece of flat is going to have a totally different set of rules. You're just trying to keep a balance between cooked long enough so its not chewy, and not too long so it's really dry.

I thought so too, but Raichlen’s book specifically mentions wrapping the flat at 175! Regardless, this was a much smaller piece of meat even than the full flat he was talking about.

Most people will wrap at 165 because of the stall, when cooking seems to slow. Wrapping retains some moisture and allows for a braising process. I start to probe for tenderness around 190 and usually pull when it's in the 195-205 range. Each piece of meat will be different.

Right that’s my usual plan too. I was curious about the gentleman’s statement that one should try to hold 165 after wrapping, which is a new concept to me.

Back