First prime rib in my GMC Daniel Boone, promising results.

Shadowdog500

is One Chatty Farker
This is the first prime rib in the new Green Mountain cooker and the results were promising. We actually got decent smoke penetration this time.

To maximize smoke it went straight from the fridge into a 180° pellet cooker that also had an amazing tube. After two hours at 180°f it only climbed to 80° IT so I bumped the temp up to 220°F and smoked it until it hit an internal temp of 120°f. Then I pulled it and wrapped it in aluminum foil for 20 minutes while the pellet grill temp was increased to 400°f. Then I put it back in until the hot smoker until it hit an IT of 130°f to get a better crust.

The grate wiped the top of the crust off when I rolled it over to sear the top. I’m going to work on something different for the crust next time. Other than that I’m pretty happy.

This is after the sear. The grill knocked off part of the crust when tried to sear the top.

Last edited:
Looks amazing. I know kinda stinks you work hard for the curst but, lose it to the grates. It surely wouldn't stop me from eating it :-D

Looks great, think we are doing 1 for Christmas, trying to decide where to use the Weber kettle again or the Austin LX ,

If this is your maiden rib roast voyage, I gotta book passage on the next one departing station...

001(2).PNG

:hungry: :hungry: :hungry:

Back