THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

snadamo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Adam
Been making pizza on the grill with a stone and while good, we could do better. So we bought a knockoff ooni (price was hard to beat, and reviews were good). Gave it a whirl over the weekend and made about 4 pies. Kids put on their own ingredients. This was the only pictures I snagged because everything thing was made and done so fast. So good and much room for improvement, so we're very excited to try again. Thanks for looking!

52144603904_796fd7ed1e_b.jpg

52144850625_a65c0a87ce_b.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good to me Adam. It's a learning curve with these portable ovens for sure. I nailed my first cook on the roccbox but it must've been beginners luck. Practicing more and I'm starting to dial it in.

Thanks Sako. In all fairness, I did burn 1/4 of the first one I made. Made some adjustments along the way. That was the 4th and last one in the pic. My wife makes the dough from scratch. It's fun, easy, and the entire family is involved.

I'm looking forward to pizza night just so hone in the skills.

I do homemade dough also. :thumb: The last batch of dough was 70% hydration so it stuck to the peel and didn't help that I was at a higher elevation plus cold. Second pie launch was a mess. Rinsed and repeated next day with much better results. I've been getting the hang of it then again I always switch dough and recipes so each cook is different. Less hydration next time for and less toppings also help not to weigh down the dough to the peel.

My blackstone oven on the hand is a breeze to make pies on but that's another story.

Pizza oven is on my want list. Looking at the Ooni and Roccbox. I'd like to hear about your oven

Sure thing! I went with the 12” version of this

Food party by Bakebros Outdoor Pizza Oven (Titan Gray) Portable Gas-Fired Outside Ovens with Pizzas Peel, Stone, Infrared Thermometer, Recipe and Carry Cover Bag https://a.co/d/5SRzbDX

It has a $30 off coupon. It came with a peel and a slicer as well as carrying case. Since this is an ooni knockoff I was expecting knockoff packaging and accessories, etc. I was pleasantly surprised how well it was packaged. The stone in it I believe a 13x13 so if that breaks shouldn’t be too hard to replace. I’ve only used it once but I preheated it per instructions and blew out all the factory crap with my blower and went to town. Everything worked as described.

One thing I do like over the ooni is that the igniter/valve is on the side and not the back of the unit. Easier to access for me.

I read most of the reviews which ultimately made me decide this route. I was looking for something more economical, and with tjeir coupon and my Amazon points it was close to half the cost of the ooni. When we’re ready to upgrade we’ll probably look at the ooni 16”. While this has undoubtedly increased our pizza nights, we’re casual enough that it was hard to justify a more expensive unit.

I’m on my phone now but you you have any more questions let me know and I’ll try to help out.

That looks great for a first (okay, 4th) effort! My pizzas are rarely that round and several of the early efforts were so stuck to the peel that it was a complete failure.

Pizza looks good. Try par baking the skin before adding the toppings. You will have less problems launching the fully loaded pie.

Congrats on the new pizza oven! Looking forward to seeing more pizza cooks from you...

It's all about the dough. I've been making pies for year's, even bought a pizza oven accessory for my Weber. Personally, I wouldn't spend the $$ on the Oni, but to each his own. The pie looks yummy

It's all about the dough. I've been making pies for year's, even bought a pizza oven accessory for my Weber. Personally, I wouldn't spend the $$ on the Oni, but to each his own. The pie looks yummy

You should look at an Ooni Karu 16, it's on my short list. My kettle pizza via my Weber kettle is so dated.

You should look at an Ooni Karu 16, it's on my short list. My kettle pizza via my Weber kettle is so dated.

The Weber accessories kit I bought includes a pizza oven add-on, pizza stone, pizza peel, thermometer, and a rotisserie. Total cost was $139. Picked it up about 6 weeks ago on Amazon

I have the Ooni Karu 12 with the gas adapter, I really like this oven. There is definitely a learning curve to them. I guess I had beginners luck when I made my first two pizzas because they came out pretty good. My third pizza was a total disaster and the forth one was just a regular disaster. I grew up eating Pizza Inn pizzas and still prefer thin cracker type crust. When Pizza Inn changed their original thin crust recipe it drove the first nail in their coffin, within two years of that change we went from 6 Pizza Inns in our town to just one.
Here is one I did last night.

Attachments

• 20220613_134453.jpg
    20220613_134453.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 59
  • 20220613_134514.jpg
    20220613_134514.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 59
Weber Kettle Pizza Oven & Rotisserie Add-On

Here you go...

$119 on Amazon with free 2-day delivery for Prime members

It took 10 minutes to install and was super easy to use. As mentioned, the temp for the pizza oven gets to about 750-800 and makes perfect pies. Just keep an eye on it so you don't overcook.

Attachments

• 20220520_121315.jpg
    20220520_121315.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 20220520_121408.jpg
    20220520_121408.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 58
Back