THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ok, that was much better than I thought it would be. No explosions, so it looked pretty (enough for me), and all sorts of tasty flavors. Almost tasted like the filling of a really good Calzone, just without the crust. Wife even liked it, so I can see myself adding this to my rotation...

Thanks for the idea and all the help! :clap2:

Attachments

That looks great, like it was done by an old pro! Now the next one won't be as stressful for you:-D:thumb:
What pit temp, how long a cook, what IT and what kind of wood? Was the bacon crispy? We need details!

Last edited:
That looks great, like it was done by an old pro! Now the next one won't be as stressful for you:-D:thumb:
What pit temp, how long a cook, what IT and what kind of wood? Was the bacon crispy? We need details!

Thanks. I did this on my WSM with KBB and all vents wide open. Water pan foiled and a clay pot base also foiled inside it. I used the flame thrower to light a layer across the top of the coals and gave it about 20 minutes until there was no smoke coming out the top and my temps were around 260*. I added three pieces of pecan chunk and let them get going for another 10 mins. before I put the fatty on.

Maverick monitored the temps any where from 275* to 288*. I didn't really track the time, but I would guess it was around 2 hours, maybe 2.5. When the IT hit 165*, I used the flame thrower again to crisp up the bacon a little more. I didn't want flabby bacon, but I also didn't want it to crumble when I went to slice it. I probably could have torched it a little longer.

Thanks for all the help and moral support here, especially Cowgirl for her Fatty wisdom. I went back and forth to her page many times...

Back