First-ever Boston Butt - Thoughts and Questions

M635_Guy

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
Lee
This was my fourth or fifth time cooking with the Performer (and charcoal in general - I'm not really counting what I did in college nearly 30 years ago...). I started prepping around 8:30 AM today and had the meat on the cooker by 9:30.

Pix and Thoughts:
I got a 7.5lb bone-in shoulder from the only real butcher shop in the area. It was pricey. I've got a Whole Foods that gets local stuff in every Friday and is a lot closer, so the next time I'm feeling like spending that much on one I'll probably try theirs. I could use some opinions on the Harris Teeter or Publix shoulders vs. the butcher in terms of price-for-value.

I dry-brined the shoulder for about 18 hours.

The process is a life-lesson in being judicious in course-correction and going with the flow. I had some peaks and valleys on temperature that had me fretting a bit. Eventually I'll figure out the nuances of the vents, but a little can mean a lot. I'm a little high-strung by nature, so I'll need to learn to relax. That's a good thing :) (I'm sure once I figure it out my friends will say I should have gotten this grill a long time ago...)

Again, the remote thermometer (one in the meat, 1 at the grate) is worth its weight in gold. Flattens the learning curve and allowed me to get other things done without worrying if I was screwing up some pretty expensive meat.

I probably could have used more seasoning.

Since I went fat-side up (which was the recommendation for the slow & sear), it was less-pretty than I expected when I checked it at 4 hours (and the "top" was imprinted by the grate). Oh well - it gets chopped up anyway, tight?
9sfiyp.jpg

I wrapped at about 5 hours, and then went to 195F. Almost exactly 8 hours total.
cWH75J.jpg

I wound up with one of my chunks of hickory un-burnt, though the other two were entirely gone. I also had a fair amount of charcoal - guessing there was several-more hours of cooking available. Wondering if 25% less coals would work better? Any reason to think too much charcoal is less even, etc.? Will probably try lump next time... Maybe. In any case, I'll just re-use what's left for whatever is next (thinking a spatchcocked chicken or maybe the redonkulous jalapeno-stuffed bacon-wrapped chicken thighs I saw on the HowToBBQRight channel on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZvhpkaAcqs. That guy is evil, but the best kind of evil. Anyway...

After about 80 minutes of rest. Grate-marks are from the rack I used. Not gobs of bark, since the flesh-side was down (?)
SD5vYf.jpg

I'm wondering if flesh-side up is better, but don't want to dry out the shoulder.

Bone came out nice and clean
EN9z2j.jpg

Looks pretty good to my complete noob-ness (any insight appreciated)
jhJJFY.jpg

This pic under-sells it
DqgIST.jpg

I made Eastern-NC style sauce from white wine and apple cider vinegars, brown sugar, cayenne, salt, white pepper, some pepper flakes, cholula and a secret ingredient (a few splashes of bourbon - I figured it would soften/round out the vinegar a bit)
mb97Xx.jpg

I was pretty happy - it was tasty! Still happy to learn any ways to improve
T06VDX.jpg

Next time I'll probably go with a smaller piece of pork. Four pounds would still yield plenty with leftovers. Going to surprise some friends with BBQ care-packages tomorrow. :)

Short of tasting it, I'd say perfect.
When the bone comes out clean, you hit the DONE button in my book.
Bit O Bourbon... :thumb:

Looks fantastic! A light bulb lit up above my head when you mentioned the slow n sear recommends fat side up. The way the indirect heat works in a setup like that is it bounces off the dome, so that makes perfect sense, since a lot of the heat is coming from up top.

I think you pretty much have that butt figured out! From the results, I don't know of any way you could improve. I don't always get great bark when I cook butts, so maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in to help that aspect for the next cook.

Lookin' good, Lee! It sure looks like you know what you're doing.

To address a few of the bits/bobs I noted above:
- I'm always happy to hit Harris Teeter or some such place for a butt vs. Whole Paycheck.
- Butts & Shoulders are ridiculously forgiving. They also take significantly more seasoning than one might expect. My suggestion here is to stick with basic "flavors" or even just salt. Here's a thread from SirPorkalot that's excellent on the subject (That, and I'm an old Tarheel who grew up on Honeymonk's 'Cue as a kid).
- Love the sauce you came up with... especially with your own tweaks.

Keep rockin' man. You're doing great!

I'm surprised it was expensive given that NC, where I lived for 10 years, is a major pork producer (coastal region, where nobody can smell them!) Here in central MN pork shoulders are cheap, like $1.99/lb. last time I visited Cosco.

In the one photo, the pork appears to be under-cooked, but in the others it looks fine; and, of course, the clean bone pull is evidence that it was well cooked. Your sauce appears similar to mine, just more ketchup in yours. Mine is more mustard based.

The standard I aspire to with pulled pork is what I had several times over 30 years ago at "Wilbur's BBQ" in Goldsboro, NC. As good a pulled pork sandwich as I've ever had (though I prefer the scoop of cole slaw on the side!)

You're definitely over the target, "Ol' Son!":thumb:

Looks excellent. I eat it the same way you do. Just pile it up and drizzly with some sauce, no bun necessary.

Great cook!

Unlike beef, pork is very much mostly commodity IMHO. I might pay extra for some heritage stuff here and there MAYBE, but for the most part pork is pork. Go where the deals are.

Looks great
Take it easy they are hard to mess up.
Fat protects it from the heat Fat cap below if the fire is underneath. Fat on top if you have an offset or fire is not right beneath. Is the way I do it.

Nice job there looks delicious. I prefer to do fat side up as I like the basting effect.

Nailed it Dude! Mighty Fine! Now your ready for the store stuff at .99 a lb. Also loose the dry brine for a better crust. K-salt and a heavy coat or your favorite rub. No need to wrap if cooked indirect at 225-275*F just keep the temp steady.

Looks great to me, been smoking for 30 some odd years but just bought a shredder that goes on the end of a drill, $17 and think its a 3" and works great, wish I had bought years ago, a couple of minutes and your done . Love my kettle

Back