First cook on the Mak 1 star

Hot Spot

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Bob
Finally got a cook in, about time, it was delivered 4/19. Meatloaf with acorn squash, roasted potatoes in the air fryer, cookies made from Betty Crocker premix. Only got a finished picture for the meatloaf. Hurried to get everything together and forgot to spray the aluminum foil before putting the squash on so they ripped open on the bottom when I took them off but the juice had sat in them a while as it took quite a while to get those done and I scooped up the juice and added to the squash. I cut too much off the one on the right front for it to sit flat so I just cooked it without anything in it. I followed instructions to just cut, add the brown sugar and butter and roast cut side up from start to finish. Everyone commented how good they were so it did not matter that I messed up.

The meatloaf came out really good, did not get sliced pictures but this is probably the best meatloaf I have made even though it was basic. Used the bbq sauce that came with the cooker in the meat and on top at the end, did just a few shakes with the sweet rub they sent with the cooker too. I have to say that I could not taste any smoke in anything even though the cooker was smoking at times, it was set to 350. I could care less, if it comes out this good, I am happy. When I cooked indirect on the kettle at temps like this, I really did not usually taste much smoke either and yet I have no problem tasting everything I eat. In the future, I will use a better set up but it got the job done.

Everything took longer than the recipes stated, by quite a bit. I will put a pit temp probe in next time and see if the pit temp is lower than setpoint but I would be surprised if it is. Not sure why everything took so much longer but it did not matter, I am just curious.

IMG_0216[1].jpg

IMG_0217[1].jpg

IMG_0218[1].jpg.

Food looks awesome. Pellet cookers and their smoke, seeking the smoke are part of its charm. There are tricks to get heavier smoke. Your cooker and mine are a couple grand apart. Be best if you get advice from same or similar cooker. I learn every time this topic arises.

You say basic, but it looks great from here. As far as cook time goes. It seems like a lot of my cooks take longer than expect also. I wonder if it could be related to initial temp of the meat. I suspect I tend to start the meat off well under room temp. Maybe you too? A meatloaf is a fairly large mass and if it starts off cool then...

Back