THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

watertowerbbq

is Blowin Smoke!
Some of you may know, but earlier this year I purchased a Backwoods Competitor that was in need of some TLC. A buddy worked on it and I brought it home last Saturday. We gave it a good burn when I got it home, but because of work, I couldn't get a chance to cook on it until today.

So, tomorrow is a birthday party for my daughter so today I cooked a couple of 8# pork butts and a 10# packer brisket. The unit has a guru adaptor built into it, but I didn't want to run it with the guru today. Temps in the 40º F range and rain all day and I wanted to know how this thing would work at a comp in case I had an electrical or guru problem.

Well, I can tell you that getting this thing up to temp should not be a problem. It spent most of the day with the top thermometer around 350ºF and the bottom thermometer around 300ºF. I cooked the butts on the second from top shelf and the brisket on the shelf a couple of racks lower.

I started the smoker at 6:00 this morning and by 8:00 it was up to 300ºF on both thermometers so I put all of the meat on. At 1:00 everything had come off and I couldn't detect any texture difference on the brisket. I didn't realize that I didn't taste the butts until they were already in the fridge and I just decided that I'd have a chance to taste it tomorrow.

I didn't set out to do a hot and fast cook, but it kind of worked out that way. I can't wait to try a lot of different things on this smoker. When you've been working with an 18" WSM, having 8 racks that are 19.75" square is a real luxury.

I did try something on the brisket. I deliberatly tried to cook this to the fall apart stage because that is the way my MIL cooked hers for years and that is how my wife likes it. Althought, it wasn't fall apart, it turned out really good so now I've got to get my timing down and my brisket will be well on it's way to getting better.

Thanks for looking and enjoy the pics below.

BWS Competitor
PICT0218.jpg

Butts and Brisket on Smoker
PICT0221.jpg

Point separated from flat
PICT0225.jpg

Slices of flat
PICT0226.jpg

Brisket
PICT0227.jpg

Pulled Pork
PICT0230.jpg

:becky::becky::becky::becky::becky:

Congrats on getting a chance to cook on your BWS. Meat looks good. Brisket looks real moist. Good job. Now you need to get some ribs in there.

meat looks real good. i wouldnt mind some ot that my self. go ahead and pat yourself on the back. job well done.

Love it when a beat up smoker in need of some tlc and elbow grease gets a new home and a happy ending. I'm sure your daughter is going to have a great birthday party , congrats.

Back