THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chezmatt

Full Fledged Farker
I got my first Giants game of the season this weekend, and that put me in the mood to cook outdoors. What better way to start the BBQ season than with tri-tip?

To try something new, I rubbed it with the "basic rub" from the Wicked Good Burgers book. It was good but, to be honest, nothing special. I also made the "pit sauce" from that book. It was easy to make and very good. It's ketchup and Worcestershire based, with a little bit of heat.

Anyway, on to the cooking. I did a reverse sear on the grill, cooking it on indirect around 250-275 until I got an IT of 125, then searing it on "as-hot-as-the-grill-can-get" until it looked done. Here is the result:

Tri-tip.jpg

I recently picked up a new brisket-carving knife, which I have been waiting to try out. Here it is, with a chef's knife for size comparison. As you can see, this thing is huge:

Brisket Knife.jpg

The knife worked great, allowing nice, even, thin slice of tri-tip. Here is it is sliced:

Sliced tri-tip.jpg

I served it with green-chile-and-bacon cornbread and baked sweet potato fries. All in all, it was a great start to the spring. Hopefully, it will be the first of many, many cooks this year.

I don't understand this "first cook of the season" thing. My season is from Jan1-Dec31. :confused::biggrin1:

Looks good. would love to nosh on a piece of that.

Perhaps I should clarify: "BBQ season" was referring more to my (and my family's) calendar than to the weather. From April to October, I'm grilling and/or smoking pretty much every weekend. November through March is more hit and miss.
I actually picked up the expression from a friend of mine who divides his whole year into ski season and BBQ season.

Looks great.

But....ummm....isn't the "BBQ season" year round in California?

I mean it never stops here in central Indiana and we get snow and ice!

EDIT: Just saw post above. Carry on. :becky:

Perhaps I should clarify: "BBQ season" was referring more to my (and my family's) calendar than to the weather. From April to October, I'm grilling and/or smoking pretty much every weekend. November through March is more hit and miss.
I actually picked up the expression from a friend of mine who divides his whole year into ski season and BBQ season.

I thought maybe you were talking about baseball season after I thought about it. :biggrin1:

Back