THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

oldpro

Knows what a fatty is.
I did my first chuck roast, and it turned out very good - not great. I used Angelo's Beef rub mixed with some brown sugar. Angelo's rub is pretty hot, but I grew up eating their brisket in Fort Worth, and it was some of the best, so I use that when I'm in a hurry. Put the rub on 24 hours in advance.

We had a big cool front coming through with an all day rain, and I barely got the Weber going when it hit. Added hickory chunks and started cooking. The temp stayed between 230 and 250. After 6 hours, and two more hickory chunks, the internal temp was 170 degrees. I wrapped it and cooked for two more hours to 195 internal temp.

It made very good pulled beef sandwiches, which my wife liked a lot, although it was pretty hot seasoning wise. The chuck picked up more of the heat from the seasoning than a brisket does. It was fine for me. It seemed to be a little drier than a brisket, and since I prefer the point portion to the flat on a brisket, I would have preferred it to be more juicy. Maybe basting would have helped that, but I didn't do that with this one.

It was good enough that I will do it again. It got me through a rainy day!

I did my first chuck roast, and it turned out very good - not great. I used Angelo's Beef rub mixed with some brown sugar. Angelo's rub is pretty hot, but I grew up eating their brisket in Fort Worth, and it was some of the best, so I use that when I'm in a hurry. Put the rub on 24 hours in advance.

We had a big cool front coming through with an all day rain, and I barely got the Weber going when it hit. Added hickory chunks and started cooking. The temp stayed between 230 and 250. After 6 hours, and two more hickory chunks, the internal temp was 170 degrees. I wrapped it and cooked for two more hours to 195 internal temp.

It made very good pulled beef sandwiches, which my wife liked a lot, although it was pretty hot seasoning wise. The chuck picked up more of the heat from the seasoning than a brisket does. It was fine for me. It seemed to be a little drier than a brisket, and since I prefer the point portion to the flat on a brisket, I would have preferred it to be more juicy. Maybe basting would have helped that, but I didn't do that with this one.

It was good enough that I will do it again. It got me through a rainy day!

I hear ya oldpro, while we really enjoyed the chuckie I did Sunday, we had sammys yesterday and I found the meat to be on the dry side. I also foiled at 165. I think the next time I will add a little beef broth to the foil before closing. Maybe that will help. :biggrin:

It sounds mighty tasty OldPro. I like to add broth during the foil sometimes. It works great with venison too. :-D

I'm curious. Do most people baste or add liquid to their chuckies? I know some of you foil and some don't. Since I was watching the temp, I'm pretty sure I didn't overcook. It would pull, or I could slice it with a very sharp knife.

I no longer baste brisket, and I never basted pork butts. I wrap both, and being juicy has not been a problem unless I just go to sleep at the switch and overcook them.

Back