THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jgarofalo

Knows what a fatty is.
Cooking low and slow in the char broil double chef. Should I use a water pan or would dry heat be better? Using a dry rub and plan to keep the smoker @ 250-275.

Thanks

I do my chuck roasts in the Bandera, and I invariably use water in the water pan. One thing about chuck, you want it moist -- it can dry out otherwise even with its fat content.

I've never cooked without the water pan and everything has been awesome so far. I guess I shouldn't change now :) I just want to make sure I get some good bark on there.

I buy whole chuck rolls (about 25 pounds) and cut them into 4 roasts, each a bit over 6 pounds. When I cook these with 6 pound pork shoulder roasts, the pork cooks quicker than the chuck roast. I find I have to take chuck roast to an internal temp of over 200F to get it soft enough to pull. I allow 9 hours now, sometimes it takes less. But it's soooo worth it!!

Back