First Build Help

bbell

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Hello Everyone.

I just finished the build on my first smoker. I did a backwoods clone. When I went to do the seasoning this morning I could not keep the fire going with the door shut and the ball valve wide open. Since this is my first time even attempting to work a smoker I am not really too sure what to do. These are the dimensions for my smoker.

The firebox: 8"x15"x15"
cooking chamber: 20"x13.5"x15"
Ball valve: 1"
exhaust: 1.5"x3"x25"

Any help would be appreciated. My next guess at what to do would be to add another ball valve to get more air into the firebox. But i wanted some advice before I went and drilled some holes into the smoker.

When I seasoned it I was able to get the temp up to 300+ with the firebox door a crack open but when I closed the door and had the ball valve all the way open the fire would burn out as well as the coals. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

attached are the photos of the smoker.

Regards,

Bryce

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 41
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 39
I'm definitely not an expert, but one one inch ball valve is not enough air intake, I don't really think two would be either. Might consider making pinwheel style intakes. Nice smoker tho!

Thank you for the response. That is kind of what i figured but wanted to make sure. The easiest thing I think to do would be to mount 2 more 1.25" ball valves on the firebox door. That would be the easiest to weld and seal around the ball valve. I thought a 1" ball valve would work. I looked at other builds that were close to double the size and all they had was a 2" ball valve.

Remember a 2 in tube has 4 times the area of a 1 in tube.

Going by this it sounds like a single 2" ball valve would do it for you. Better to have bigger and not need it. All you would have to do is make the existing hole bigger. Unless removing the 1" ball valve is going to be too much trouble.

i think what is going to be easiest to do now is to just add one or two ball valves on the firebox door. i bought 2-1.25" ball valves so I will just use them. I would mount them on the side but with the double wall and insulation it would make it hard to get into the side to weld it and it be easier on the door. i figure i might as well use both valves instead of just 1 to be safe

Back