THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

seattlepitboss

is one Smokin' Farker
Yesterday was my GF's oldest son's birthday. I'd previously picked up a nice 15# packer-cut brisket from a premium meat shop locally (Silvana Meats in Silvana, WA) and I promised Karen I'd smoke it for her son's birthday since he is a carnivore extraordinaire to say the least.

It was a truly horrible night here Saturday night in the Seattle area. Temp in the low 30s, raining hard and blowing hard. Limbs down all over the neighborhood. Towards dawn the rain turned to heavy snow and we got about an inch and a half. The snow switched back into rain in the morning and then the rain started monsooning, all with 60+ mph winds. Not a great night to spend outside tending to a smoker, but I had promised, so I persisted.

The evening before, I took out the meat, trimmed some of the fat off, slathered it with CYM and the same rub I use on pork butts, then refrigerated it in a foil-covered pan. At midnight I fired up the trusty old NBBD smoker. I let it heat up for a solid hour and a half, then put the meat on (fat cap up) about 1:30AM. I added wood as needed but never touched the meat until about 10AM when I did my first test poke. The point was a whole lot softer than the flat so I reversed the meat end for end, putting the flat end closer to the firebox. At noon I started poking every 30 minutes. At 1:30PM, just 12 hours after I put the meat on, it was butter-soft everywhere so I pulled it, foiled it, toweled it, and dropped it into a cooler to hang on until dinner. Then I took a nap! :)

I did take a couple pix at slicing time. I figure you guys have all seen a raw brisket and one covered in rub, so it's just the results you'd want to see. The meat had good bark, a real nice smoke ring and great flavor. The very tip end of the flat was a little dry, though. Considering I didn't do any injecting, never put the meat in a pan in the smoker, never foiled it, never mopped it and never even pulled out a thermometer at all, I think it came out real nice.

Oh, and everyone just loved it. We served it with baked potatoes topped with grilled onions and mushrooms and sour cream, plus homemade applesauce, with chocolate cake for dessert.

seattlepitboss

Last edited:
Nice work, neighbor! Yesterday was crazy. I chose it to season my UDS, and standing in the Snow/Rain/Sun/Wind/Thunder.

Food looks great. Nice job!~

Happy to see you got through the cook, and even happier to see that you kept most of that really bad weather up north... :wink:

Great job on meeting your commitments and managing to get those kind of results in truly nasty conditions!!!

A bit of advice. Don't freak out about the dry flat tip. Don't be adjusting anything to prevent it. In most of the Brisket houses in the old days this section usually turns out a bit burnt. This is part of the physics of the piece. Traditionally these burnt ends (the chunk of the flat and the butt end of the point and flat [thick part[) get trimmed off and dumped in a bucket along with anything else that may be too dry and stored in the bucket until they got enough to do a proper burnt ends sandwich day. The pieces were mixed with slivers of blackened post cook fat trimmings and dumped on the smoker for a freshen up then maybe chopped and thrown into anything from a vat of sauce to brisket juices and water and simmered. This reconstituted the meat, flavored the sauce, moistened it up and made the poorer customers one hell of a special.

The Bark looks glorious on your meat there but if its too burnt tasting (carbon), and I am not there so I can't say it is, simply nix the sugar.

Thanks for trying it without foil (not that there's anything wrong with foil) and I am proud of you.

Back