First Brisket In The Pellet Smoker: Help!

Gotta try y'alls method Andrew and Robb. Any reason for running low overnight? More smoke flavor??

I usually cruise at 275 the whole cook. Prime briskets run about 7-8 hours total cook time on my Yoder 640 with good results.

I always go to the low setting, otherwise know as “extreme smoke”. The recteq goes from 200 to “low” on the controller. Low usually runs right at 180. It does give me the most smoke flavor for my cooks. The only reason I say overnight is for brisket (maybe butts too) due to how long they take. Pretty much everything else I cook during the day but still go to 180 to get the best smoke flavor. Many times once the IT of whatever meat I’m cooking reaches 120 and stops taking on smoke I bump the temp up to anywhere from 250-325 depending on what I’m making to speed up time.
Some of the high(er) end cookers like the Yoder and MAK may not need to go that low for good smoke but the recteq does in my opinion.

Here’s a link to my first brisket cook. Turned out amazing! Probably my best yet!
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289011

I always go to the low setting, otherwise know as “extreme smoke”. The recteq goes from 200 to “low” on the controller. Low usually runs right at 180. It does give me the most smoke flavor for my cooks. The only reason I say overnight is for brisket (maybe butts too) due to how long they take. Pretty much everything else I cook during the day but still go to 180 to get the best smoke flavor. Many times once the IT of whatever meat I’m cooking reaches 120 and stops taking on smoke I bump the temp up to anywhere from 250-325 depending on what I’m making to speed up time.
Some of the high(er) end cookers like the Yoder and MAK may not need to go that low for good smoke but the recteq does in my opinion.

Here’s a link to my first brisket cook. Turned out amazing! Probably my best yet!
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289011

Thanks Andrew!!

Damn! I want a brisket now. :becky:

Sorry Chad!!! Don't want to hijack your thread.

No problem. Not really a high jacking IMO, it’s all about learning the method; whether we’re talking about the reason or the temperatures and times needed.

BTW the brisket was good. Had a beautiful smoke ring and got rave reviews, but I could tell it was over cooked. There’s always room for improvement :thumb:

Back