First Brisket In The Pellet Smoker: Help!

CivilTrojan

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Chad
First time cooking a brisket in my newish pellet smoker. I say newish because I haven’t used it yet but I’ve had it for several months. Please tell me what you think of my plan and if you think it sounds like it will work.

The brisket is a prime packer that I just got from Costco and it weighs 13 pounds. I’m planning a trimming most of the hard fat off and leaving most of the soft fat, seasoning it with Montreal steak, and putting it in the smoker set on low smoke (180*) around 9pm tonight. At 7am when I wake up I’ll wrap/cover it and set the temperature to 225* with the hope that it will be done around lunchtime. Then I’ll remove the point for burnt ends and put the flat in the oven set at 150* to hold until dinner.

Thanks for any input/help!

I just did one Sunday about the same size angus from Sams. All I can say would be to wrap and then crank to 275. It was a stubborn one. On at 12:30am 210*, wrap at 9 bump to 225, at 11:30 bumped to 275 and finally took off at 4 but, could have used another half hour or so.

Not to far off from how I do mine. Only change i’d suggest is 210° overnight (starting between 7-8pm) and bump to 250° at 7am til done. Bump to 275° at 9am if you need to speed it up a tad. Your temps are to low to hit your desired finish time from my experience.

Thanks! That’s exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately it just went in the smoker at 10, and it turns out low smoke mode is actually 160*. I’m going to leave it there until 12 (when I go to sleep) and then change it to high smoke which is 220*. In the morning I’ll change it to 275*. Hopefully that will work.

Edit: I just went ahead and bumped it to high smoke now. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
At 7:30 the IT was 163* and I turned the smoker up to 275*. That may have been a mistake because the IT is already 193*, should I turn the temperature back down?

It will definitely be the best brisket you have ever had. Nope no need to change anything temp wise. Briskets can hold for a long amount of time.

After you have the smoke you want and it's wrapped I would cook 275 to get it cooked and done to your liking (probe should feel like it's going through jelly). Then you can have have a nice long hold in the oven to relax the fibers and have a tender finished product.

Not to far off from how I do mine. Only change i’d suggest is 210° overnight (starting between 7-8pm) and bump to 250° at 7am til done. Bump to 275° at 9am if you need to speed it up a tad. Your temps are to low to hit your desired finish time from my experience.

This is pretty much the method I use as well. I go 180 (overnight) until I get the bark I want, wrap in butcher paper and bump the cooker to 250-275 depending on how fast I want it done.

This is pretty much the method I use as well. I go 180 (overnight) until I get the bark I want, wrap in butcher paper and bump the cooker to 250-275 depending on how fast I want it done.

Gotta try y'alls method Andrew and Robb. Any reason for running low overnight? More smoke flavor??

I usually cruise at 275 the whole cook. Prime briskets run about 7-8 hours total cook time on my Yoder 640 with good results.

5OZaRNvh.jpg

ejPPB9dh.jpg

1ZtuEiRh.jpg

Gotta try y'alls method Andrew and Robb. Any reason for running low overnight? More smoke flavor??

I usually cruise at 275 the whole cook. Prime briskets run about 7-8 hours total cook time on my Yoder 640 with good results.

I'm very interested in learning if the smoke flavor is much different cooking at 275 for 8 hours versus starting out really low and cooking for 12-14 hours. And does this differ based on the brand of Pellet Grill you are using?

I'm very interested in learning if the smoke flavor is much different cooking at 275 for 8 hours versus starting out really low and cooking for 12-14 hours. And does this differ based on the brand of Pellet Grill you are using?

I'm curious now too Bob. I've just stuck to 275, thrown the brisket on, wrap at the color I like until probe tender. I haven't done overnight cooks in years.

For sure the pellets matter and that's the reason I only use LumberJack 100% wood pellets. Definitely makes a difference. I use different pellets according to the meat I'm smoking

For example

Beef: Oak or Hickory

Pork: Pecan and Cherry and Oak

Chicken: mostly fruitwood blend or Apple blend etc

Hmmm....Curiosity killed the cat. Good thing I’m a man. I wanna know too!

This is what I did for a brisket this past weekend.
As you know Im new to the pellet cooker.

I went 180 overnight but I wrapped as I would using my Deep South GC28 or as I would for a KCBS comp.
Not as good as the Deep South but Ill tell you what it sure was delicious to eat with a big ole fat smoke ring.

Also to add CRAZY.... easy...

This is what I did for a brisket this past weekend.
As you know Im new to the pellet cooker.

I went 180 overnight but I wrapped as I would using my Deep South GC28 or as I would for a KCBS comp.
Not as good as the Deep South but Ill tell you what it sure was delicious to eat with a big ole fat smoke ring.

Also to add CRAZY.... easy...

Makes sense! Low temps and smoke equal to more smoke flavor and a nice smoke ring because meat absorbs most smoke the first few hours.

5OZaRNvh.jpg

ejPPB9dh.jpg

1ZtuEiRh.jpg

I tend to do briskets/butts overnight because I hate being up against a clock. I can easily time these big hunks to come off the MAK and give myself anywhere from a 4-7 hour rest window before dinner. Never any stress to hurry up and get’r done. Also, IMO your gonna have a bit more smoke on the meat along with the lower temps and longer cook time.

I tend to do briskets/butts overnight because I hate being up against a clock. I can easily time these big hunks to come off the MAK and give myself anywhere from a 4-7 hour rest window before dinner. Never any stress to hurry up and get’r done. Also, IMO your gonna have a bit more smoke on the meat along with the lower temps and longer cook time.

Gotcha! You've got a great point on being ready hours before. That actually sounds good especially when you have impatient people that don't understand the "it's done when it's done" in bbq.

Thank you sir!

Gotcha! You've got a great point on being ready hours before. That actually sounds good especially when you have impatient people that don't understand the "it's done when it's done" in bbq.

Thank you sir!

Been there done that way too many times… the stress of eyes just glaring at you is no fun! We have people over quite often for BBQ’d meats… and pretty much without exception now, they arrive with the MAK cold and covered and the finished product waiting for them all prepped and ready to go on low heat in the oven. So much more enjoyable if you ask me… lol.

Been there done that way too many times… the stress of eyes just glaring at you is no fun! We have people over quite often for BBQ’d meats… and pretty much without exception now, they arrive with the MAK cold and covered and the finished product waiting for them all prepped and ready to go on low heat in the oven. So much more enjoyable if you ask me… lol.

Lol I hear you. For the most part everybody knows not to ask me if it takes a little longer but there are occasional new booties. I just tell them to have more beers but I like your method better. :-D

Def what I'm going to do on the next one. :thumb:

Back