THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You need to cook it longer or hotter either way it aint done. See below

BBQ RULES FOR SUCCESS

YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS BY COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMPERATURE OR BY TIME ( XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL! For Brisket it must pass the poke test(probe like soft butter) Ribs pass the Bend Test, Pork Butts when the bone wiggles loose. These are the only reliable methods to ensure that your cook will be a success. There is one exception to these rules and that is Poultry which must achieve and internal temp of 170 deg in the thickest part of the thigh and 160 in the breast.

Word of advice from someone who has perfected the over cooked brisket. I've been told by the brethren that "Probe tender" and "like buttah" doesn't mean there is absolutely no resistance.

Undercooked brotha
What is this pulling off the smoker at 190*? To each his own, I have tried any and every way imaginable and there are only two ways of doing it to me.

I go on absolutely butter feel now days, awhile back I was catching briskets on the way up to tender and holding it in a cambro with the notion that it would continue to cook and when I pull it out it would be tender. This method is inconsistent with 3 out of 5 being undercooked in my test, so what works is cook it to butter leave it wrapped in BP 1)let it cool on the counter tell 150 and slice 2)put it in a cambro/cooler with the door cracked for 30 min then lock it up until people show slice at 150. If you cook it to butter all you have to do is let it rest until IT hits 150 and your good, but first you have to get over IT temps when cooking save those for chicken seriously.

This really is all you need to check for a tender brisket brotha:wink:
IMG_20130326_201513.jpg

Oi... the trials and travails of trying to cook a moist brisket (speaking of myself here).

Since we're on the subject, and it may be helpful for the OP - I have tried cooking to IT's of 195-210. From landarc's post above, it may have still been undercooked - "...if it is stiff, and when you bend it, you can see tiny threads of tissue, it is undercooked."

For the last one I tried, it went all night, unwrapped about 260-300F, and I started probing once it hit 195 in the flat. The flat probed soft, but not like butter (the point did). I got skittish when the flat hit 210, and still did not probe like the point did i.e. like butter. Coolered for a few hours. The burnt ends came out awesome. The flat was okay - not ooey gooey juicy though.

So for the OP and myself - is it like a switch being flipped where the flat goes from probing kinda soft to "like butter"? Should it feel like the point?

You need to cook it longer or hotter either way it aint done. See below

BBQ RULES FOR SUCCESS

YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS BY COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMPERATURE OR BY TIME ( XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL! For Brisket it must pass the poke test(probe like soft butter) Ribs pass the Bend Test, Pork Butts when the bone wiggles loose. These are the only reliable methods to ensure that your cook will be a success. There is one exception to these rules and that is Poultry which must achieve and internal temp of 170 deg in the thickest part of the thigh and 160 in the breast.

Not blowing smoke up anyone's a$$ but I have never been misguided by bludawg's advice. It was just a matter of time before he chimed in. I can honestly say my briskets All turn out well from seeing his constant stand behind the above post! Done when its done. That's just the way bbq is.

In my experience, especially with unwrapped brisket, it is not like a switch, it takes time. Even at the point when things are so close to being done, it is BBQ time. The feel is what can take some time to develop for some. To me, it does feel a lot like the point, it is quite easy to poke.

Oi... the trials and travails of trying to cook a moist brisket (speaking of myself here).

Since we're on the subject, and it may be helpful for the OP - I have tried cooking to IT's of 195-210. From landarc's post above, it may have still been undercooked - "...if it is stiff, and when you bend it, you can see tiny threads of tissue, it is undercooked."

For the last one I tried, it went all night, unwrapped about 260-300F, and I started probing once it hit 195 in the flat. The flat probed soft, but not like butter (the point did). I got skittish when the flat hit 210, and still did not probe like the point did i.e. like butter. Coolered for a few hours. The burnt ends came out awesome. The flat was okay - not ooey gooey juicy though.

So for the OP and myself - is it like a switch being flipped where the flat goes from probing kinda soft to "like butter"? Should it feel like the point?
Due to the lack of marbling compared to the point the flat will not have that uncious mouth feel that you get from the point.

I only check the thickest part if it is right the rest will be too. I look for the butter feel on the pull out not the push in as it can be deceiving.

Back