THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MrDsmoker

Knows what a fatty is.
Hey guys I officially made my first Boston butt. I smoked on my kettle for 6 hrs and it came out great! Unfortunately there was a group of people waiting so I didn't take pics. My question is since I foiled it should i have kept the juice to keep the meat more moist once I pulled the pork?

Hey guys I officially made my first Boston butt. I smoked on my kettle for 6 hrs and it came out great! Unfortunately there was a group of people waiting so I didn't take pics. My question is since I foiled it should i have kept the juice to keep the meat more moist once I pulled the pork?
No pics! :twitch:

I don't usually foil but if I did I'd open up the foil and dump the entire contents into a large container and do the pulling with the juice.

I don't normally foil, but... If I know that I will be freezing some of the pulled, I will put a drip tray under it to collect the juices for the freezer bag. Some of it will go in as I am pulling as well. Same would apply to foiling.

If I foil, I generally just put the butt in a pan and foil over it, so all the juices are there. I then pull the pork in that same pan.

I have never wrapped a butt but when I have a bunch left over and need something to help keep it moist, I have made up some of this and mixed it in prior to freezing. I have also mixed it in for serving before.

Smokin Okie's Pulled Pork Baste & Serving Sauce

(makes about 5 cups)

4 cups apple juice
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
4 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoon dry mustard
4 tablespoon brown sugar
3 bay leaf
6 cloves of garlic
2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon cayenne (I sometimes use Hungarian Paprika)
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves (the secret ingredient)

I taste the foil juice and decide if I want to use it or not. 90% of the time I do :-D I use a separater to get rid of the grease.

I only foil butts when they're resting in a cooler for a couple of hours. I've eaten pulled pork almost straight off the smoker, and the average person couldn't tell much of a difference, but I prefer a post-smoke wrap.

Back