THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A

AJ Peacock

Hi all,

I've been grilling forever and got the itch to try smoked brisket on my gas grill. I'd classify it as a success, but I think I'll be buying an Akorn once I'm confident that it can be run low and slow.

I read a ton of internet posts and bought a Packer at Walmart (14.5lbs), trimmed it, and rubbed it with a sugar, salt, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne etc rub.

I had done some experiments with my grill (an old Weber Genesis 3000) and was able to get a stable 225 degrees (oven therm at grate level) by using a huge water pan under the grates and running only the front burner at med heat.

I started my grill at 3:30am and loaded the pan with boiling water from the stove (trying to get the temp up quickly). I made a couple foil pouches with mesquite chips.

At 4:04am I had the brisket on the grill/smoker at 225F (fat side up).

After 5 hours I placed it in a aluminum pan with foil cover and move to my convection oven (it has a meat probe). The thickest portion of the point was at 138F when I put it in the oven.

Since I had bought the cheapest brisket I could find ($2.58/lb), I decided to kook it to 205F to give it the best chance of not being tough. I discovered that my oven won't probe above 200F, so about 45minutes after it hit 200F, I pulled it out of the oven, wrapped it in blankets and let it rest for 1.5hours.

Results:
1) Definitely overcooked.
2) I thought it was too salty, as the flat cooked in the juices (that were salty from the rub).
3) Everyone ate it up. There where 9 of us and I probably had 3-4lbs left over (probably started with 11-12lbs after trimming).
4) The point had a LOT coarser grain than the flat.

Next attempt will do the following:
1) Only cook until 190F
2) Use a rub that has FAR less salt and more spice (more cayenne).
3) use an injector (just beef broth).
4) Fat up or down???

My biggest dissappointment is that I didn't get much smoke on the meat, I need to figure out how to generate 10x more smoke when running my grill at such a low temperature. Any and all hits are more than welcome.

AJ

Back