First attempt at "Trisket" - my report & Pics

RemoGaggi

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
RemoGaggi
Safeway had tri-tip on sale for $2.99/lb last week so I decided to experiment and try a "Trisket" in my MAK 1. If you're not familiar with the term "Trisket" as I was just until a week ago, a "Trisket" is not a smoked tri-tip that is smoked to med rare and then revere seared. A "Trisket" is cooked low and slow till probe tender, which is around 190-200 degrees - like a brisket.

I got 2 pieces. Each was a little more than 3lbs, the one on the left was a little larger than the one on the right. The one on the right has a thicker fat cap.

[URL=http://s911.photobucket.com/user/RemoGaggi2976/media/IMG_20170326_103056.jpg.html][/URL]

I rubbed with 50/50 kosher salt and coarse pepper. I also used my favorite Obie Cue Smooth Move.

[URL=http://s911.photobucket.com/user/RemoGaggi2976/media/IMG_20170326_104337.jpg.html][/URL]

Into the MAK 1 at 225 degrees.

[URL=http://s911.photobucket.com/user/RemoGaggi2976/media/IMG_20170326_110545.jpg.html][/URL]

The plan was to foil at 150 degrees, but the larger brisket kept reading 10-15 degrees lower than the slightly smaller one. I foiled the smaller one and then 15 minutes later foiled the larger one. I added a little beef broth with the foiling. This was about 3 hours into the cook.

After foiling, I started getting a 15-20 degree variance between the 2 pieces so I switched the probes to see if it was a probe issue. After switching the probes with each other, the variance was only 5 degrees. Not sure why.

After total cooking time of 5 hours, the smaller one was probe tender at 190 degrees. The slightly larger one was still not probe tender enough. 15 minutes later, I pulled the larger one at 195 degrees and it felt probe tender, but still not quite like the smaller one. I put both pieces in separate coolers to keep warm and I gave the larger one to my cousin for his family dinner, while I kept the smaller one. I don't have pics of the one I gave to my cousin.

Here's the one I kept.
[URL=http://s911.photobucket.com/user/RemoGaggi2976/media/IMG_20170326_165152.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s911.photobucket.com/user/RemoGaggi2976/media/IMG_20170326_165442.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s911.photobucket.com/user/RemoGaggi2976/media/IMG_20170326_165730.jpg.html][/URL]

Mine turned out great! It was very moist, tender with good smoke flavor. It tasted very much like brisket. However, my cousin's piece didn't turn out as well. He reported that while it was tender, it was just good, not great. He said his reminded him of corned beef and kinda like pastrami. The next day, I went over there and tried a piece and sure enough, it was visually different as it looked a lot leaner and tasted different. To me, there was little to no smoke flavor, a little salty and it tasted like roast beef lunch meat. It was still good, just nothing like the similarity to brisket that mine had.

The slightly larger piece had a thinner fat cap and turned out to probably have much less marbling internally than the smaller piece. The meat was purchased at Safeway, and I know it wasn't "Prime" grade. It was either "Choice" or "Select", but the package was not marked as such so who knows. I think the smaller piece likely had much more marbling than the larger piece and I think this was the difference. As we all know, each piece of meat is different.

I think the "Trisket" was still a success and look forward to doing one again. But, in the future, I will try to get one graded as "Prime", or at the very least try to get a piece that appears to have a lot of marbling and a good fat cap.

Looks good, but I like the way Tri-Tips turn out when reversed seared, so I would probably never try it...

Interesting experiment. Thanks for trying it and for sharing the results.

However I am with Terry on this one. I guess you could mix a 21yr old single malt scotch with koolaid and make Jell-O shots. I guess you could take a well aged $500 bottle of Napa Cabernet and make Sangria too.

Now granted, I never see Tri tip here for less than 9.99/lb so I guess if I had a cheap endless supply of that scotch my opinion might change.

Either way, again...thanks for sharing the results. No dig on you for trying it out!

I do trisket style tri-tip with pretty great regularity when I don't need a full packer or can't find anything small enough. The flavor is much better, and the price is typically much better than flat or point only. Also, much more tender than flat alone. The observation that the internal temp and cook time are typically very different than brisket is accurate. Normally I cook them at about 275 and it takes a solid two hours per pound to feel right. The feel never gets quite as buttery as brisket, but after a while you get used to it. The big things I have found are to leave the fat cap on (don't even buy one that is completely trimmed) and be sure to get one that is VERY well marbled, or it will turn into a dried out piece of meat no matter how it feels. It also is very necessary to cut each of the three directions against the grain. This often results in some small pieces but it is fine. FWIW, I do not wrap during the cook but instead warp tight in foil for about 1/2 hour after pulling the meat from the smoker and letting it cool down for about 5 minutes. This will release some wonderful juice into the foil worth drizzling it right over the cut slices.

Last edited:
This might be my Saturday cook. Been thinking about trying it, and this thread put me over the top provided I can find decently priced tri-tip.

Yep - for those of us in the Peoples Rebuplic of Kalifornia - Tri-tip is much easier to obtain than whole packer briskets so this is certainly not a bad route to go if you are craving brisket but cannot find it.

thanks for posting!

First attempt at "Trisket" - my report & Pics

I seem to remember a post similar to this a few years back that created a wave of posts, discussions, a couple of bans and a whole new sub-forum.

People getting banned before because they are against smoking a tri-tip low & slow? Wow... I'm not trying to re-ignite a discussion on what the best way to cook tri-tip or trying to convert anyone from cooking a tri-tip however they want. I'm just trying to share my first experience with making a Trisket, which was intriguing to me as I love brisket, but its just not practical for me to spend the money (and time) on a full brisket when it's just me and my wife at home. Also, intriguing to me was the cook time, 5 hours +/- vs. 12+ hours for a brisket. I can say definitively that the more marbled tri-tip I smoked could have passed for brisket for many - it was very good.

People getting banned before because they are against smoking a tri-tip low & slow? Wow... I'm not trying to re-ignite a discussion on what the best way to cook tri-tip or trying to convert anyone from cooking a tri-tip however they want. I'm just trying to share my first experience with making a Trisket, which was intriguing to me as I love brisket, but its just not practical for me to spend the money (and time) on a full brisket when it's just me and my wife at home. Also, intriguing to me was the cook time, 5 hours +/- vs. 12+ hours for a brisket. I can say definitively that the more marbled tri-tip I smoked could have passed for brisket for many - it was very good.

No it wasn't the actual subject itself I don't think as it was the way the initial question was asked and the resulting cavalcade of ridiculous responses.

Feel free to cook your Tri tip anyway you want. :)

That was quite the thread, but in the end I think the individual called on the carpet so to speak proved a tri-tip COULD be cooked like a brisket with good results.

Just goes to show there's more than one way to skin a cat - or cook tasty meat.

i might give this a try for the same reason...just hard to find small enough briskets since i am the only one eating it most of the time. also why i started smoking chucks like brisket. cook what you like how you like.

anybody want to discuss smoking a steak? :boxing:

Back