First Attempt At Pastrami

TRx

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Richard
I'd bought a brisket and separated the point from the flat. Cooked up the point as regular brisket last week or so and it was very good. Put the flat to cure so I could try making pastrami. Let the flat cure for 6 days, turning once a day.

Once cured, rinsed and dried with paper towels, then covered with smoked paprika and a pastrami rub and put it on the smoker at 225f. After about 8 hours it was up to 155f and I wrapped it tight with a little beef bouillon and put it back on the smoker. At just under 12 hours total it hit 205f so I pulled it and it to check it and it was tender all around so wrapped it back up and let it rest a couple hours. It turned out much better than I thought it would. The taste and texture is great. I'll definitely make it again in the future.

IMG-1479.jpg

IMG-1480.jpg

IMG-1481.jpg

IMG-1482.jpg

IMG-1485.jpg

IMG-1487.jpg

IMG-1488.png

IMG-1489.jpg

IMG-1493.jpg

IMG-1498.jpg

Nicely done! Ever since my first pastrami brisket I'm now hooked.

Good looking pastrami. It is even better as leftovers. Try cutting 1/4 in slices and frying like bacon.

I’ve always just bought cheap corned beef on March 18th, soaked it, rubbed with pastrami seasoning and smoked. Gonna have to do one of these soon.

I’ve always just bought cheap corned beef on March 18th, soaked it, rubbed with pastrami seasoning and smoked. Gonna have to do one of these soon.

Cheap corned beef may have gone away like the dinosaurs. At least if the last two years are any indication. Around here, the going price has been slightly north of $5.50 a pound and the post March 17th prices are still over $4.00.

I guess price is relative. It all depends on what your definition of is is.

I have never tried to corn any meat. Does anyone know if there would be a big difference in select versus choice when doing a process further technique?

Thanks,

Robert

Back