THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Firebox project; Part 3

Here's the final phase... with paint.

Looking thru the intakes... there was a very crusty and weak firegrate that has seen better days.... had to work on that, too.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The NEW firegrate was framed with solid steel 1/2" x 3/4" bars with a dual layer of expanded steel.
picture.php

The charcoal basket is framed with angle iron at 15" X 17" X 14" tall
picture.php

Not sure why the paint seems uneven... with 8 light coats of paint over the past few days...(not a professional painter)... hope it will smooth out with light sanding and a bacon grease seasoning. Paint used was Rustoleum 1200* grill paint.

Last edited:
This is phenomenal work. I cannot stand my Brazos firebox and want to re do it. Great thread.

I will add:

View attachment 51480 Cheap foam roller at Home depot

View attachment 51479They sell it by the quart too. This is a must when your firebox, which should have a small fire in it when you put the paint on, is going. You heat up your pit a bit so when the paint goes on the steel is already expanded. Do it cold and the paint will crack too early when you do heat it up.

Last edited:
The directions for Evapo-Rust says to immerse what you want "de-rusted" in the liquid. Obviously, you weren't able to to do that.

What did you do to get such kick butt results?

Looks great!

Eric

A few ways... the key was keeping it moist.

Soaked a t-shirt and left it on the smoker... keeping it saturated, not letting it dry.

If it does dry... only the water component was evaporated away... (and it did on me) just re-wet the material... it already has the derusting agent embedded in the material. Had to use a flap wheel on a few areas that were a bit more resistive.

Someone else.. on a larger scale... used a small washing basin... and used a water/sump pump with a hose to spray and keep a rusted car fender suspended over that basin as a constantly flowing nature.

Added fresh bacon grease to the flat black paint = glossy black.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1605399&postcount=1

Last edited:
Notice the it didn't say the Marine Corps uses it? That's because we are broke and have Pfc's with wire brushes :thumb: I use a similar product on my 69 bronco back in Hawaii. It's called Ospho and works really well and is cheap!

Back