THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

souroull

Knows what a fatty is.
Hi all,

Got me a FB2 and tested the drive functionality on my kettle last night using lump.

Max fan speed was set to 30%, blower flap closed down to about 1/3, and the thing is essentially acting an on-off switch set to 1-2 degrees lower than the set point which overshoots temps every single time it turns on. (on PID3)

I guess this can be alleviated by lowering max fan speed, but still. What ever happened to gradual ramp up and/or steady streams of air to maintain temps?

Does this thing really need to act as an on-off switch? Have also asked FB themselves and waiting for a reply but in the meantime, anyone have any experience with this?

Many thanks!

I have no clue how this functions on a kettle, or how you have it programmed.

I have one for an insulated Gravity Fed unit. I have it open 100%, and it ramps up to 60-90% to get the pit up to temp, then throttles down. It will cycle on and off but only in the 5%to 15% range and keeps the pit within 1-2 degrees.

From your description, I can’t exactly tell what yours is doing.

P.S. I run the Pit Viper fan on mine. What fan are you using?

Last edited:
There is too much missing information to diagnose your issue.
1: how do you have the intake and exhaust vents on the kettle? Intake should be closed and exhaust should be open (a little or all the way-you will have to play with that to dial it in)
2: how much over the set point is it overshooting? Because of the thin metal of a Weber, it’s not uncommon for it to overshoot 10-15 degrees. It recovers and falls quick too.
3: is your FireBoard set to manual or auto at 30%? I always use auto.
4: where are your coals, exhaust vent, and probe located in relation to the fan? Obviously probe should be on opposite side of coals and where food is. Exhaust vent should be on top of food opposite side of coals. Fan should be located on coals side of pit.
Hope this helps a little.

Back