THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

benniesdad

Full Fledged Farker
I'm looking at moving to a Fireboard 2 Drive and using their 20 CFM Drive Blower. They advertise 30 hrs. of battery life for the unit but that it just using it to monitor temperatures. Anybody have some experience to share on about how long it will run with the fan assuming LNS temps in a Kamado Joe cooker?

I'm looking at moving to a Fireboard 2 Drive and using their 20 CFM Drive Blower. They advertise 30 hrs. of battery life for the unit but that it just using it to monitor temperatures. Anybody have some experience to share on about how long it will run with the fan assuming LNS temps in a Kamado Joe cooker?

I have gone from the BBQ Guru CyberQ to the Fireboard 2 Drive using two BBQ Guru Pit Viper fans in my WSM.

Definitely an upgrade.

As for your question, they mention:

"Powering Your Fan

For all FireBoard models, the fan can be driven off the FireBoard’s internal battery. You can also attach the included 12V power supply to the FireBoard or the fan cable, depending on your device, for a power boost.
Fan performance when running on battery power alone is subject to the type of fan being used and the efficiency of your smoker.
Some larger fans require more voltage to begin spinning; you may notice the fan motor not engaging until the reported speed reaches 20% or more.
Some larger fans may not reach 100% speed on battery power alone. If you have a larger fan, or are smoking for an extended period of time, it’s a good idea to attach and plug in the charger for the FireBoard 2 Drive or FireBoard 2 Pro, or plug in the 12V power supply that is included with the Drive Fan Cable to provide full power for the FireBoard or FireBoard 2."

Seems you're planning on using their fan, so you might check with them for further clarification.

But from that, I gather that fan performance on the battery alone will vary on ambient temps, duration of the cook, etc.

I'm running a pair of BBQ Guru Pit Viper fans in my WSM using the Fireboard. With the Fireboard plugged in. I have not done a test to see how long they will run on just the Fireboard 2 Drive battery though and probably won't unless forced to. I look at the battery in it as a backup in case power goes out.

Last edited:
I have gone from the BBQ Guru CyberQ to the Fireboard 2 Drive using two BBQ Guru Pit Viper fans in my WSM.

Definitely an upgrade.

An upgrade in what sense? I have a CyberQ Cloud I use with my WSM, and a FireBoard 2 (non-drive model). The CyberQ does what it does exceptionally well. Holds the temperature dead on.

The interface is certainly archaic compared to the FireBoard though.

Back