THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Richard
I’ve recently enjoyed ribeye tacos with a friend at one of LA's higher end Mexican places, and they were great, so when I saw this Prime ribeye at the market I couldn’t resist making some of my own ribeye tacos.

DSC_1079.jpg

I also thought I would tackle something new, one of my favorite taco meats, pork Al Pastor. Al Pastor in its most authentic preparation consists of thin strips of pork marinated in a rich chile mixture layered on a huge upright spit covered with pineapple slices, and cooked much the same as a Greek gryos. The pork is cut directly from the layered meat and ladled onto a hot tortilla.

AlPastorSpit.jpg

Unless you’re in Mexico, however, the majority of taquerias take the same marinated meat, grill it up, then cut it onto small pieces and finish on the griddle, which produces a lovely crispy carmelization. I’ve had both styles, and when done right, they are amazing.

Since I don’t have the necessary equipment, I opted to go for the more readily available style of Al Pastor. :thumb:

I started with thinly sliced strips of pork butt:

DSC_1076.jpg

Then, I boiled some guajillo and ancho chiles along with a bay leaf. When they were fully softened, I took them out of the water to cool:

DSC_1071.jpg

After removing the seeds and stems from the chiles, I added some sliced onion and garlic:

DSC_1074.jpg

In the blender, I added orange juice, vinegar, salt, cinnamon, clove, oregano, then added the chiles and blended thoroughly.

DSC_1075.jpg

This is how it came out:

DSC_1078.jpg

The fragrance of the chile marinade was amazing.

Then I took my pork, put it in a seal-able plastic bag along with the chile marinade so it could marinate all day in the fridge.

Meanwhile, I broiled some roma tomatoes and garlic, and toasted some chiles de arbol for my salsa roja. I also made a salsa verde from fire roasted jalapenos, onions, garlic, and cilantro, but unfortunately, due to ongoing issues with our resident squirrel population that day, I didn’t get pics of the salsas being made, but they turned out great! :roll:

DSC_1073.jpg

That evening, I fired up the Kingsford Oval for indirect:

DSC_1085.jpg

DSC_1084.jpg

Then pulled out the ribeye and seasoned it simply with sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper:

DSC_1082.jpg

DSC_1081.jpg

I started with the Al Pastor first:

DSC_1089.jpg

About halfway:

DSC_1093.jpg

Then finished on the hot side of the grill:

DSC_1094.jpg

When the pork was done, The Missus took over and started on the tortillas. Meanwhile, I put the ribeye on:

DSC_1098.jpg

DSC_1101.jpg

DSC_1103.jpg

I pulled the ribeye off when it reached 120 degrees internal. While the meat was resting, The Missus cut the Al Pastor into little pieces and finished it off on in a cast iron pan so the meat would carmelize.

Ribeye ready to cut:

DSC_1105.jpg

DSC_1106.jpg

DSC_1107.jpg

Finally, tacos were ready to be served!

DSC_1108.jpg

DSC_1110.jpg

Both meats were amazing, and for my first attempt at Al Pastor, I feel I really nailed the flavor, although next time I plan to add a little more salt to the marinade.

Thanks for checking out my tacos!

Last edited:
:shocked:

That's farking epic! Absolutely gorgeous!

Did the squirrels run off with yer camera? Did the dogs get it back?

Looks great!!

Sometimes you just have to sacrifice a ribeye.

Just in time for breakfast! Man that looks good. pass the pico please.

Looks great, however, I can't help but agree with Deguerre and Gore. That is a sad picture seeing that ribeye carved up like that.

Forgot to ask. We usually use green onions for our pico de gallo. How do you like the chopped white onion?

Guerry, white or yellow onion is what you'd traditionally find in pico de gallo, not that green onions aren't fine either, we've just never gone that route. I think mature onions add a heartier flavor to the pico. Give it a shot and see how you like it!

Looks great, however, I can't help but agree with Deguerre and Gore. That is a sad picture seeing that ribeye carved up like that.

I actually may not do Ribeye tacos again. As tender as the meat was, I think I prefer the traditional skirt/flap meat. Better texture.

The Al Pastor on the other hand, we'll be doing again in the very near future. :thumb:

Back