Finishing up mods to my new smoker..

Chopjaw

Knows what a fatty is.
Yes it's been awhile for me to post. I've been lurking in the background but not much to say.....

So for x-mas this year the I heard the wife asking my 13yr daughter if she knows what daddy wants for xmas? So knowing this I laid the trap or hint.. I have been wanting a new smoker for awhile now and I just could not bring myself to spend $$$$ on a really nice one. WHY? Because I'm not doing any comps and it's just 3 of us. So If I get the right one then I can mod it and get the felling of "WoW I made this" So I started researching smokers and the kind I wanted. I've had 3 different styles of smokers and all have one thing in common, they were stick burners. Couple of weeks ago I was at a friends house to help him for his work party (BBQ) at his house. He was using my smoker and his brand new one that was not big enough to fit all of his meat. I was skeptical at first about his smoker, I've never used one or had any food off of one (that I know of.) So I took the brisket and did it on my smoker and he did all the other meat(s). After his bbq party was over and I had a chance to think about it, I made the decision to get a new smoker like his.

The ease of watching him smoke (which he's a freakin beginner) and act like he is a seasoned pro and what I had to go thru to make his brisket (which was "freakin good" judged by everybody at the party) and what I have gone thru in the past blew me away. I didn't realize it but I was not smoking or using my smoker at all over the past year which is odd for me cause I'm always trying new things... I think I was just tired of the hassle of smoking, getting the smoker up to temp, keeping it there and so on has become a chore. YES I do know how to use a smoker, I've been doing it for 20+ years so stop judging..... (had to say that)

(back to the story) SO I left open my browser on the smoker that I wanted and made sure that both wife and daughter saw what I was looking at. I did my research on the smoker, went and looked at it and 2 days ago the UPS man dropped it off at the house. It's a win - win for everybody. Now I'm installing the hi-temp gasket around the door, modding the chip box and instaling a new vent. Once I'm done thaen I'll plost pics..

Oh by the way, I chose a Masterbuilt XL Pro Vertical Propane smoker.
The mods will be as follows:

1. Smoke Daddy Cold Smoke Generator
2. 1” Nomex High Temp BBQ Gasket (self stick) around the door.
3. Bayou Classic High Pressure 0-30psi Adjustable Regulator (Needle Valve) to control the temp to allow to go to 200° and keep it there.
4. Stainless Steel basket to rest the Cast Iron pan on for the wood chips. (see Photo)
5. Casters to wheel this sucker around if needed.
6. 60lb propane tank.

I will post pic’s up once I’m done of the install and finished product.

Please offer any suggestions or comment, I'd like to hear them.

Thanks

union.jpg

MVC-072F.jpg

900x900px-LL-2e02a007_IMG_0037.jpg

0-30_psi_propane_regulator_angle_one.jpg

Back