Finally getting an offset

Can't go wrong with any of the ones you've mentioned. I've got a 20x42 LSG and love it. Can smoke, cook direct over fire box, reverse sear using both and even cook pizzas in firebox. I live real close to TMS if you ever want to check one out before purchasing. I drove down to Willis TX to pick mine up, recommend the same to save some cash and worry over shipping.

Two forum members graciously showed me their Shirley and LSG pits. Can’t go wrong with either one.

I also found an R&O on FB Market place For a great price . A good sandblast and paint it Will be an awesome pit! Hard decision ahead.

For those of you with Shirley's who did you use for shipping? Is there a general/rule of thumb $ per lb for shipping costs that I can use to estimate? I'm on the East Coast.

Jambo is great, but it’s mostly a weekend cooker for most working folks because it’s a stick burner. But if you go that route, make SURE you get a better wheel package than the standard, the steel wheels are horrible on anything but concrete. I’m probably in minority I would get one cooking door as opposed to the two, it will make it MUCH easier to cook on. Three is I personally don’t understand why the firebox door isn’t on the side like the outlaw smoker and possibly a lid to throw a steak on for those times you want to grill over wood. Just my two cents and I’m just a weekend hack, but that’s my Jambo experience. Have fun......you deserve all the good that comes your way.

you cannot put a top door on an insulated firebox for grilling. don't know if i have seen any of the big name pit makers use a side door, may be for drafting.

Jambo is great, but it’s mostly a weekend cooker for most working folks because it’s a stick burner. But if you go that route, make SURE you get a better wheel package than the standard, the steel wheels are horrible on anything but concrete. I’m probably in minority I would get one cooking door as opposed to the two, it will make it MUCH easier to cook on. Three is I personally don’t understand why the firebox door isn’t on the side like the outlaw smoker and possibly a lid to throw a steak on for those times you want to grill over wood. Just my two cents and I’m just a weekend hack, but that’s my Jambo experience. Have fun......you deserve all the good that comes your way.

Mobility is why I think I have eliminated the Jambo, plus I didn't realize until reading their website the cooking chamber is 3/16. They feel so much heavier than that, I wonder if that recently changed. Since I do not have a covered patio my cooker will have to stay outside or in the garage. Jambo doesn't make a cover and the price for a custom one is steep. Moving it from my garage to backyard to cook would be a challenge. Still a wonderful pit and I hope I don't regret passing on it, but it just might not fit my needs.

For those of you with Shirley's who did you use for shipping? Is there a general/rule of thumb $ per lb for shipping costs that I can use to estimate? I'm on the East Coast.

Kevin White does their Shipping. You can send him a text at 850-240-2695 for a quote.

Mobility is why I think I have eliminated the Jambo, plus I didn't realize until reading their website the cooking chamber is 3/16. They feel so much heavier than that, I wonder if that recently changed. Since I do not have a covered patio my cooker will have to stay outside or in the garage. Jambo doesn't make a cover and the price for a custom one is steep. Moving it from my garage to backyard to cook would be a challenge. Still a wonderful pit and I hope I don't regret passing on it, but it just might not fit my needs.
First and foremost... I echo the prior comments that you and your family deserves blessings and kudos for persevering through your challenging times. I wish the best of health to you and yours going forward with many memorable BBQ's.

I have the LSG 20x36. I was fortunate enough to come across it very lightly used. However, new is still an absolute bargain.

Regarding mobility, there are wheel options that make them easy to move around.

Because of the design of the cook chamber, the main chamber cooking space is larger that you might think with a full 5" between upper and lower racks. Further, you can use as a water smoker as the chamber is sealed and able to hold water with easy clean-up via the ball valve after your cook. Baffling provides super consistent temps left to right.

LSG has a video on YouTube that does a great job describing the pros and cons helping with decision making on insulated vs non-insulated firebox. Insulated is not necessarily better in every instance....

Versatility is awesome on this thing with the ability to do amazing reverse searing with steaks directly over the wood fire. Seems like everyone is big on Blackstone these days with their gear. Well, you also get a great griddle directly under the top firebox door that is 1/4" steel. I can tell you we have made great smash burgers with that as well!

I know you are doing your homework and you will most certainly get a high quality cooker whichever route you go that will last you a lifetime with your family.

Best of luck!

Thanks for the kind words! I really like the LSGs, such a hard decision.

It was a ten year journey, but I finally got my smoker!! It was a stressful process trying to find the best bang for my buck while at the same time meeting my needs. I physically looked at the Jambo Backyard, the Bison Backyard, Big Phil's Backyard, an LSG 20"x42" and a Shirley Fabrication 24"x36". All of them were beast and I would have loved each one of them. In the end mobility and longevity was the most important to me. Because of that I narrowed down my choice to the Shirley and LSG.

Two weeks ago I pulled the trigger on the LSG. It was cheapest smoker I had looked at, made of 3/16 and had a caster upgrade so it should move good to solve my mobility issue. Other awesome features included a firebox grill and griddle plate. I was pretty darn happy and kept thinking I can't wait until November to cook on this thing.

My mind kept drifting and I kept asking myself if I should have gone with the Shirley. I was literally doubting my decision a day after placing my order. I get a call 5 days after placing my LSG order stating there was an extra Shirley heading to Texas and it was mine if I wanted it. I jumped on it. Even though I was less than one week into a 16 week waiting period LSG charged me a 10% cancellation fee. It's clearly stated on their website, so my fault and lesson learned. Even paying that fee I was 100% confident in my decision this time around so the peace of mind was worth the fee. The fee was also cheaper than depreciation if I decided to sell it.

Last night my Shirley was delivered and this thing is a freaking tank. So far I'm VERY happy and can't wait to cook on it. Work is crazy right now (blessed) so that may not happen until this Sunday. I'm still in shock I got a brand new Shirley in 11 days. Unheard of!

Thanks for all the input!

Last edited:
Congrats...Shirley makes some amazing pits and they are absolutely some stand up people. I'm sure you'll be happy with that pit for a long time.

Congrats on the Shirley purchase! It sounds like all the stars aligned with that extra Shirley coming to Texas.

I also had a similar situation here in Minnesota. I more or less accidentally ran into my Shirley on Craigslist. I always wanted an offset smoker but I never dreamed of it being a Shirley smoker. I had to jump on the opportunity when it presented itself. I knew the chance of finding another used Shirley smoker up in Minnesota was slim to none.

I've never regretted the decision. The smoker and quality is top notch. I'm sure the LSG is also a very nice smoker. Even with me purchasing my Shirley second hand, Paul Shirley has been top notch with helping with any questions I've had here on the forum about the smoker. The company itself can't be beat. There is a reason why they have a wait for their smokers. Congrats and I'm looking forward to any pictures you post on the smoker. Enjoy the new toy!

Congrats on the Shirley! Did you end up going with the 24x36 patio? I cant wait to put an order in for one too. They sure are beautiful cookers. Please post your first cook with it, I’m sure we all would love to see your cooker in action!

Congrats! They make a great smoker.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Congrats Raider, I got my patio model a month or so ago and love it. It is my second one and I was easily able to get this to my back patio bbq area.

Back