THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bigredsmokindog

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Hello all and thanks in advance for your help. We will be doing our first ever FBA comp in a month, and wanted to ask some questions so I can prepare properly. Have been doing KCBS comps for a few years but notice a couple differences.

1. Can you trim meat prior to meat inspection?
2. How many pieces must be turned in?
3. I read that right NO garnish, so just a foil sheet in bottom??
4. Is there a standard sized turn in box size? If so can you tell me what it is?

I'm sure I will have more pop up but that is what I got so far.

Again any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Greg

Greg,

If you go to the FBA website you can download a copy of the rules for your reading enjoyment., but to answer your questions,
!) Yes you can trim prior to meat inspections, you no longer have to save the meat labels, the reps will have a sheet that you must sign stating that it is USDA inspected meat. No seasoning or injecting prior to inspection.
2) 8 pieces or enough for 8 portions for the judges if it is not obvious pieces such as chicken or ribs, ie pulled pork.
3) meat only contest, no garnish, no foil, nothing but the meat being turned in, and just a nice reminder that all meat in the rib box must be hooked to a bone so no chopped in the box of ribs. foil, toothpicks, greenery will be a DQ
4) Boxes are provided by the contest organizer, are normally the standard white roughly 8" X 8" Styrofoam carry out boxes with no dividers, but I have seen black at one contest and a few odd sizes

What contest are you going to be at? I may be there, if not there are a few others here that are active FBA competitors.

Lewis

Hello all and thanks in advance for your help. We will be doing our first ever FBA comp in a month, and wanted to ask some questions so I can prepare properly. Have been doing KCBS comps for a few years but notice a couple differences.

1. Can you trim meat prior to meat inspection? Yes same as KCBS.
2. How many pieces must be turned in? Minimum of 8
3. I read that right NO garnish, so just a foil sheet in bottom?? No foil, only the category meat.
4. Is there a standard sized turn in box size? If so can you tell me what it is? 9x9 same as KCBS

I'm sure I will have more pop up but that is what I got so far.

Again any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Greg
See above. And what Lewis said, except box size is 9x9.

Back