THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trunks

Take a breath!
planning on doing a fatty with in next few days and will do a few since its a waste to do just 1... on the 22.5 WSM

my question is if i make a few how long do they keep in fridge and also can i freeze whole 1s after they are smoked? how would 1 reheat it ?
what temp am i shooting for cooking temp? also internal?

thanks !

If I were going to freeze a fatty, I would slice and fan out then vacuum seal and freeze.
To reheat, drop the entire package in simmering water.

Good suggestion ^^^^

I've cooked extra and frozen them before. They aren't as good a s fresh, but they are still good :-D

Fatties are great bits to cook, rest, wrap, and freeze for future consumption (even if you're not lucky enough to have a vacuum sealer).

I typically take mine to 165 (just like Chris, above), wrap them in foil, then let them rest in a warm oven set at 150F for a bit. If I'm going to freeze them, I'll let them cool for about 15-20 min outside the oven and put them in a freezer bag before going in to freeze.

For use, I'll pull a whole fatty from the freezer and transfer to the fridge for an overnight thaw. We'll usually use the whole thing over the course of a week from there.

Discovering a fatty in the fridge when it's time to cook breakfast is a wonderful thing. Slicing a few rounds and giving them a quick fry-up in the skillet before I do some eggs is my normal "go-to" (scrambled eggs and fatty is good... but a fatty, egg, and cheese sandwich just takes the cake for me these days).

Hope that helps a bit.

Kind regards,
SD

planning on doing a fatty with in next few days and will do a few since its a waste to do just 1... on the 22.5 WSM

my question is if i make a few how long do they keep in fridge and also can i freeze whole 1s after they are smoked? how would 1 reheat it ?
what temp am i shooting for cooking temp? also internal?

thanks !

Regarding will Fatty's freeze:

Short Answer: Yes
Long Answer: Hell Yes

If I were going to freeze a fatty, I would slice and fan out then vacuum seal and freeze.
To reheat, drop the entire package in simmering water.

I have done this and they work great - I have also pan seared them to reheat and they are great they way too!

MMMMmmmmm FAtties!

When I make a bunch of Fatties I usually just go naked, just dusted with rub. Cook/smoke at 225F and pull at 150F internal, cool down for a short while, wrap in foil & then into the fridge over night. Slice them up, toss in a zip lock (Don't have no fancy air suckin' machine...) and into the freezer. They'll usually come apart when you need one or two. If not, a couple seconds in the wave will usually do the trick. Then I'll wave them until mostly thawed and into the fry pan with the eggs & spuds. AWESOME breakfast!!!

I do quite a few fatties at a time---different rubs and such.

I am the only sausage eater in the house, so I cut them in half, vacusuck, and freeze.

Works wonderful reheated and sliced for breakfast (2 meals for me), or into a 2 cup sausage gravy and biscuits meal.

GOOD EATS!

TIM

Back