Father's Day cook - brisket faceoff, and some spares

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Having a group of people over tomorrow for Father's Day, so I'll be firing up the Shirley and making some 'que. I am doing two briskets and four slabs of STL spares. I expect to only need one brisket and the ribs to feed the crowd, but I want some for me to eat on this coming week so I'm doing an extra one...maybe send the dad's home with a care package.

I had a 14.5lb Costco prime brisket in the fridge for the past 3 or so weeks, and picked up another 12.7lb prime brisket from Costco today. The wet aged one was really floppy, and the fat on it was that buttery, really hard to trim stuff like you run into on Wagyu briskets. It's nicely marbled and I expect great things from it if I do my part. The smaller brisket I got today is nicely marbled and floppy too, just not wet aged, so I'm taking the opportunity to inject this one with Kosmos Reserve and do a little brisket comparo. I also wanted the opportunity to eat an uninjected and injected side by side. I've been digging this Kosmos injection lately.

I trimmed about 4lbs of fat off the 14.5lb one, and about 3lbs of fat off the 12.7lb one...so they'll both wind up being about 10lbs cook weight. Almost all of the briskets I've seen at Costco my last several trip have been in the 8-11lb range, with an occasional outlier in the 20 or so briskets they have had set out in the cooler. They're definitely averaging smaller size than they were over the winter, for whatever reason. The marbling looks real nice on them and I feel like I've had to do a less aggressive trim on them to get em how I like em.

Because it's going to be scorching hot here tomorrow, I'm waking up around 2-2:30 to light the smoker and hopefully finish the cook before it gets too miserable out. I plan to put the ribs on around 9 AM and have everything wrapped up by 1 or so to have enough time to give the briskets a couple hour rest. I figure if I have the briskets on by 3, they'll be in the cooler by noon.

The first brisket is the aged one, the second is the injected. Off to bed I go!

Attachments

• agedbrisket.jpg
    agedbrisket.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 258
  • injectedbrisket.jpg
    injectedbrisket.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 261
Sounds like everyone is in for a treat.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Well I realized we are having people over an hour later than i expected, which meant got an extra hour of sleep :razz:

I lit the Shirley at 3:45 and had the meat on around 4:30. Both were rubbed with EAT Barbecue Most Powerful Stuff. Shes running around 275 and I'm sitting in the driveway with coffee waiting for the sun to come up. :thumb:

Attachments

• 20180617_040944.jpg
    20180617_040944.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 243
  • 20180617_041350.jpg
    20180617_041350.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 241
  • 20180617_042312.jpg
    20180617_042312.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 243
Meat's about 4 hours in now, starting to get some good color. I made a random grab bag from the wood pile and so far it's had hickory, cherry, and some oak.

I'm digging these 5" glow in the dark dials. Charge em up with a flashlight for a minute and they glow a long time.

Attachments

• brisket2.jpg
    brisket2.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 220
  • brisket1.jpg
    brisket1.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 219
  • dials.jpg
    dials.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 217
Ribs are on, decided I was good with just 3 slabs...rubbed with EAT Barbecue Zero to Hero. Mainly because I didn't want to hassle with opening the second 3-pack for just one slab. Briskets are looking like they're about ready to be wrapped.

Attachments

• ribs.jpg
    ribs.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 206
The briskets hit about 170* and the color looks about right, so into the foil they go. I expected them to be further along 7 hours in, so I'm hoping the wrap will speed things up a bit so I get a longer rest.

Im also doing a clone recipe of Jack Stack baked beans in the smoker, I have a bunch of brisket trimmings I saved from the big wedding cook I did a couple months back. Jack Stack's beans are the best in KC, IMHO.

Attachments

• 20180617_105853.jpg
    20180617_105853.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 179
  • 20180617_105703.jpg
    20180617_105703.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 179
Got busy last night and didn't have chance for the finished pics.

The briskets took a lot longer than I expected...for ~10lb post trimming weight, they went 11-12 hours cooking at 275*ish. Even getting the meat on at 4:30 AM, I didn't have enough time to rest the first brisket for more than 45 minutes so some moisture steamed off as I was cutting, but it still turned out well. Another couple hours on the hold would've been ideal.

The beans seemed to be the biggest hit, surprisingly. They were on for about 3 hours and turned out really well. They were a good representation of Jack Stack beans. I'll definitely be doing them again, I had about 10 bucks in that tray of beans which is way cheaper than buying their retail packaged beans.

As for the injected vs non-injected - they both had similar tenderness/pull test, though the injected one did taste "beefier", I can't say I preferred one over the other. If I was turning in a brisket box at a competition I'd choose the "beefier flavor", but for eating I think non injected was plenty fine, which was the one I served to guests first.

Attachments

• ribs2.jpg
    ribs2.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 134
  • beans2.jpg
    beans2.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 133
  • brisket3.jpg
    brisket3.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 135
  • brisket4.jpg
    brisket4.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 134
  • food.jpg
    food.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 133
  • food2.jpg
    food2.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 133
Briskets can be a true pain in the azz at times. Once I had one that never did get tender until the next day in the oven for a few more hours.

Great looking BBQ! i am going to look up the bean recipe.

Great posts and great pics. Thanks for being so thorough and detailed. It really helps me as more of a newbie smoker to learn how the pros do it. I've only done one brisket in my day but look forward to serving friends and family one soon. Looking forward to your next cook. Happy Smokin'

Briskets can be a true pain in the azz at times. Once I had one that never did get tender until the next day in the oven for a few more hours.

Great looking BBQ! i am going to look up the bean recipe.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/jack-stack-barbecue-beans-recipe-1915560

This is the recipe I used. I modified it slightly by using half their "original" sauce as the recipe called for, then half their "spicy" sauce which is my preference. They turned out pretty close to the real deal. :thumb:

Back