THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

21234rick

Full Fledged Farker
"Fancy" Ribeye Lunch for my wife and I to enter into a throwdown.

Since this was a clusterfark challenge, I decided to take the simple cook and turn it into a true clusterfark. So, I cooked everything in a way that was new to me using only me webber kettle. That should ensure that I would mess it up! :grin:
So here are the simple ingredients, that I will use to make a clusterfark:
IMG_4312_zps0jymq1oi.jpg

and here is my steak to meet the 1" requirement. Since this is a lunch for my wife and I, I cut the steak into two small 1" thick steaks.
IMG_4316_zpsuulodkjl.jpg

I then needed to prepare the grill..... that means digging it out of the snow: (feel free to vote for me out of pure sympathy)
IMG_4317_zpsgeqz9shi.jpg

So.. grill and food prepped, time to screw it up! I would usually do a nice reverse sear on the steak and produce a wonderful meal. Not today. Today I will cook the steak on a salt block that I just took out of the packing:
IMG_4311_zpsf9pl9j89.jpg

Next, I would usually do the potatoes in the microwave and the snow peas in a saute pan. Today...everything will be done on the Webber kettle. Even the red wine reduction:
IMG_4324_zpsxe7f2j9i.jpg

Here is the final product:
Ribeye steak with homemade beef rub, baked potato with butter, salt, pepper; Snow peas cooked in foil with olive oil and S&P; and a red wine reduction made with cheap wine, scraps that I trimmed from the steak, beef base, and butter. Served with a nice glass of better red wine.
IMG_4326_zpsnhnxyivr.jpg

And this is what I learned completing this throwdown:
1. Grilling in the snow is not fun.
2. A salt block steak is not bad, but I don't think it is any better than a cast iron skillet seared steak. :tsk:
3. Veggies on the grill are simple.
4. Doing a wine reduction sauce on the grill in the snow, is not hard, but not as nice as doing it with the gas stove in the house.
5. Lastly, doing these throwdown challenges are fun and I should do them more often. :clap2:

The salt block was pretty neat, but I do not know that is did anything special. I will need to try it again side-by-side with a steak in a cast iron skillet to see if it is any different.
Thank you for all of the encouraging remarks!

Back