Falling for an Assassin...

HogGrog

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Greg
...has been fun and challenging :twisted:

I have had my Assassin 48 for over a month, time to post a few meals and share some general observations. The cooker is versatile, I have used it several times as a smoker and as a grill, with charcoal, with lump, with both, and with wood chunks mixed in.

Set-up as a smoker using the v-plate deflector with a 2X2 charcoal maze, I have had a couple minor issues. On two different cooks using the same set-up, brisket point and pork butts, the length-wise maze "jumped" the tracks after a couple of hours causing the temps to jump from a steady 250 to 350. Did not affect the cook much as I was able to adjust and move the meat to cooler zones in the cooker, love the space! :thumb:

Since then I have only run one-side of the maze, and get close to 8 hours at 275ish, but the temp increases when the maze burns beneath the slotted section of the v-plate. Removing the v-plate and turning it 180 degrees helps maintain a steady temp but it can be a difficult task - heavy v-plate that expands slightly so it is harder to remove, especially when hot, and don't forget to remove any drip pans before removing. :doh: I will continue to experiment with the maze to get longer cook times if needed and to achieve controllable multiple temp zones. I have not even tried the 3/8-inch solid deflector plate yet or the Guru adapter it also came with. More fun to come.

The Assassin 48 performs superbly as grill, it has a ton of space and depending on fuel type and placement, can provide multi-zone cooking. It comes up to temp very quickly for such a larger cooker, responds pretty quickly to temp adjustments, and is surprisingly charcoal/lump efficient!

Lastly, how the heck do I insert photos into the text so that they are not all at the end of the post? TIA

Attachments

• UMLmxPwpRNmrpNPGqqMA0Q.jpg
    UMLmxPwpRNmrpNPGqqMA0Q.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 204
  • 2vLTAak5QgmqSyNtFjvScQ.jpg
    2vLTAak5QgmqSyNtFjvScQ.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 201
  • xFLKtQo4RCeG6ArXXwQ0Bg.jpg
    xFLKtQo4RCeG6ArXXwQ0Bg.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 201
  • 5GC%w%2uSxujyLM9HXGV9Q.jpg
    5GC%w%2uSxujyLM9HXGV9Q.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 199
  • HfqZimhMTWSojwq68Y6N0g.jpg
    HfqZimhMTWSojwq68Y6N0g.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 200
  • p%wPma0LSR+ENjACRfj+9A.jpg
    p%wPma0LSR+ENjACRfj+9A.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 198
  • ONOhhRrhQ3OQgTc1%1iSIQ.jpg
    ONOhhRrhQ3OQgTc1%1iSIQ.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 200
  • FLU1zxsqQzK6FcwclA8HfA.jpg
    FLU1zxsqQzK6FcwclA8HfA.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 197
  • kx9QEmD8T2ezYbafVmbLxw.jpg
    kx9QEmD8T2ezYbafVmbLxw.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 198
Great looking cooks Greg, Assassin makes some top notch cookers. I host pictures on imgur and post them instead of downloading onto the brethren.

Upload your pics to an album, then when viewing the pic in your album, you will see two links under the picture. One is the url to the picture, the other is bb code. copy the bb code, and paste it into your post, where you want the picture to show. It will start with

Great looking cooks Greg, Assassin makes some top notch cookers. I host pictures on imgur and post them instead of downloading onto the brethren.

Thanks Kevin, I might have to look into the imgur option. High quality and fun cooker, for sure.

Upload your pics to an album, then when viewing the pic in your album, you will see two links under the picture. One is the url to the picture, the other is bb code. copy the bb code, and paste it into your post, where you want the picture to show. It will start with [/QUOTE]

Thank you, Josh!

Great looking cooks Greg. I've always like the Assassin grills. I hate when the fire jumps tracks too and had that happen on my LSG using the charcoal basket but doesn't really affect the cook. Just annoying. :grin:

use 2" X 2" x 3/16" tube steel and the charcoal will not jump .

Thank you for chiming in, your videos and posts have been super helpful.

I bought the Assassin used and the charcoal grate has 1" X 2" X 3/16" square steel welded to the expanded metal on the grate. Got a great deal but would have preferred to not have the square steel welded in place. I'm going to think about trying to remove it.

Do you miss your Assassin 48?

I'm thinking I want One of these Assassins.........with removable cart so I can haul it in me truck easier........

Good looking grub, always liked the Assassin 48 :clap2: In fact when they first came out I think I had one in my cart for a few days :icon_blush:

Just Add 1" tubing on both sides for a 3" barrier......
Good, simple idea, thanks
I'm thinking I want One of these Assassins.........with removable cart so I can haul it in me truck easier........
That would be a cool option. The Assassin is the largest cooker I have but it is easier to move than the other "wheeled" cookers I have. I loaded it easily by myself onto a U-Hual Trailer with fold down ramp.

Back