THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

King

Full Fledged Farker
¡Orale! Here's my tasty salad I made last night. It has a little green just the way I like it and close enough to call a salad.

The full version is on my blog. Enjoy!

208-e1317227254308.jpg

Ingredients
1lb Skirt steak
Tortilla chips
Mexican rice
Black refried beans (recipe below)
Red chile sauce (recipe below)
Roasted yellow pepper
Romaine lettuce (shredded)
Cotija cheese

Toppings (optional)
Guacamole
Sour cream
Salsa
Radishes

Prep Red sauce
3 Whole ancho chilies (pasillas and guajillos will work too)
2 Roma tomatoes
4 Tomatillo’s
2 Cloves of garlic
1 Jalapeno
¼ of whole onion
Cilantro
Chile water
1 Vegetable bouillon cube
Salt to taste

1. Roast the chilies, tomatoes, jalapeno and onion. Wrap the garlic in aluminum foil with a little olive oil to roast. Do not burn the dried chilies!
2. Soak the chilies in water for at least 2 hours or until soft. Remove stems and most of the seeds, keep some for heat.

1811-e1317227454999.jpg

3. Put rest of ingredients in food processor. Add 1 cup of water from the soaking chilies, bouillon cube and salt, blend until smooth.

177-e1317227542487.jpg

4. Add the soaked chilies to the processor, blend until smooth. Add more chile water if necessary to achieve salsa consistency.
5. Use a fine mesh metal strainer with a spoon or a food sieve to filter out the pulp (we used the pulp like salsa…it’s tasty!)

1871-e1317227666974.jpg

My makeshift food sieve.

6. Pour sauce into sauce pan and place on stove, reduce to tomato soup consistency or add a pinch of corn starch.
7. Keep warm until ready to serve.

218-e1317227743148.jpg

Warm liquid goo phase...

Black refried beans
1 Can black beans (rinsed)
¾ Cup milk
2tbsp Olive oil
S&P to taste

1881-e1317227810264.jpg

1. Combine all ingredients in a skillet on medium heat.
2. Smash the beans in the skillet with a potato masher.
3. Cook until desired consistency is reached (I like mine runny).
4. Serve immediately.

The rice and pepper were easy to do. First, I charred the yellow pepper on the grill over direct heat until it was mostly black. Total time to roast the pepper took about 15 minutes.

185-e1317227871833.jpg

Then I place it a freezer storage bag and seal it for 20 minutes at room temp. Peel off most of the charred skin, remove stem and seeds and cut it into strips.

For the rice, cook 1 cup of rice to 2 cups of water in a rice cooker. Add any bouillon cube for more flavor, I used a veggie cube for my vegetarian wife. Once the water starts to boil, add 1 cup of the chile sauce we just made. Cook until it is done and the liquid is evaporated.

Next, I season the steak. I laid all the steak down on top of a sheet of aluminum foil and applied D.L. Jardines fajita seasoning over both sides of the meat.

(If you can’t find skirt steak, flank steak will work.)

1991-e1317227919967.jpg

The meat went on the grill over direct heat. Cook for a couple of minutes on each side, this skirt steak was so thin, I had to watch it carefully and not over cook it. While it’s still hot, cut the steak into strips and wrap it with a new sheet of aluminum foil until it is ready to use.

206-e1317227964944.jpg

Finally, start building the salad by combining all the original ingredients on top of each other. I added guacamole, sour cream, salsa and radishes for more authentic flavors. Crumble some cotija cheese (or queso blanco/fresco) over the top and the masterpiece is complete!

213-e1317228056582.jpg

My first bite was incredible…lots of flavors, a little on the mild side for me, but that is just nit picking. That chile sauce pulls everything together, I kept on adding more of it when there were spots without sauce. I love this fajita salad!

Looks mighty fine to me. Just had one real similar to yours except it was bought at a restaurant for lunch. Yours makes me want to make one of my own. Thanks for the pron and instructions. :thumb:

Back