THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The problem is probably outside vs. inside skirt steak. Outside skirt is hard to find. Sometimes I get a good inside skirt steak but it's hit or miss. Flank steak is a good option, I find. It's thicker and a little easier to keep from overcooking. It's maybe not as flavorful and it's more lean. Higher quality meat makes a big difference.

I usually go to a supermercado for skirt steak, they slice it ultra thin and run it through a blade tenderizer, I made these last night:
picture.php
[/IMG]

picture.php
[/IMG]

Thanks,
Greg

As much as I like perfectly cooked skirt steak fajitas, I just use chicken 90% of the time.
So much cheaper, too, unfortunately.

in Texas restaurants mostly use the following marinade:

3 parts pineapple juice, 2 parts soy sauce, 1 part water.

If you go to Pappasitos or El Tiempo, this is what they marinade their fajitas in. Also, Pappasitos uses sirloin flap meat. I have seen it at Costco a couple times. Looks like skirt steak and is thicker. But good quality skirt steak with silver skin, membrane and fat trimmed would work just fine. Marinade from 30 minutes to 2 hours. Do not marinade overnight. No need. Cook over a very hot fire about a minute and a half per side. Rest for 5 minutes and cut against the grain. Simple.

For me, I just trim and apply course sea salt. Grill as stated above. Baste with some salted butter when it comes off of the grill and a squeeze of fresh lime juice then let rest.

No reason to overthink things.

There ya go. Ex-Pappasito's employee here, and I can tell you that's what they do. Sito's fajitas are regarded as some of the best anywhere.

It said flank on the wrapper. I'm old; leave me alone....LOL

But flank does make nice tacos.

Last edited:
Buy meat,soak it in what you like,cook it.Put it on a tortilla.Change it up if your first trial fails.Kinda like BEANS. To each there own.

Back