THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

daveca83

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Dave
I thought I would have a go at doing a brisket on my WSM. Following my pulled pork success I wanted to try something different.

Brisket is quite hard to get here in the UK, and the only one I could find was rolled. It looked like two flats stuck together, maybe someone could tell me exactly what it was I was cooking!

Anyway, at about 8 hours in total at 240ish it was probe tender mostly and between 200 and 205, but a few spots werent. I gave it another hour, but the thickest part was running at about 165. Here is where I made my mistake. Instead of thinking wow, the actual flat part feels perfect, lets take it off and use the rest as burnt ends, I left it on. I left it on for 12 hours in total. By this point the thick part was just short of 200, but the rest of the meat was not probe tender.

I let it rest for 2.5 hours, and when I went to carve it, it fell apart. Some parts provided really juicy chunks (see example) but the rest just came away in bits. It was a little dry (slightly more juicy than pulled pork), had a great taste, but it wanted to split at the grain. It wasn't what I was hoping for. I was a bit annoyed with myself, but went into preservation mode, I had spent money on this meat and was going to make it delicious!

I am using part of it to make a batch of chilli, coated some of it in BBQ sauce, chopped up for sandwiches (which were actually delicious!) and have a last few portions, any ideas what I could do with it?

Attachments

• briskey raw.jpg
    briskey raw.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 76
  • brisket end.jpg
    brisket end.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 76
  • brisket done.jpg
    brisket done.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 75
Back