Fail!! [emoji22]

SirPorkaLot

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
John
We show proud photos of our successful cooks here, but we don’t always talk about our failures.

Today I had a fail….

Today is National Pot Pie Day.. so what’s a guy gonna do?
Damn right! Cook a chicken pot pie.

Made the crust, made the filling, covered the filling with another fresh made crust.
Put it in the smoker running a clean (or so i thought) hot (350-400F) Fire

Came out to check on it 30 min later and it looked like it had been tossed upside into the ash can.

I mean, to say it was ashy looking would be kind.

So needless to say, I won’t be sharing photos of my chicken ash pie

I’m still not sure what exactly caused the problem, but I suspect it was one of two things (or maybe a combo)

Possibility 1: To run the smoker at the higher temps I needed for the pie, I had the firebox door wide open.
This may could have caused a stronger draft than normal through the cook chamber, but I wouldn’t have expected ashes to get to the food, because it’s a reverse flow with a baffle.

Possibility 2: I grabbed a bad piece of wood off the wood pile and it didn’t burn cleanly, causing the creosote to cover my pie.

I have decided for the next round, it will be in the Weber using just briquettes.

giphy.gif

Thanks for sharing — always good for those of us, uhm, less capable… to remember that even experienced cooks have problems sometimes.

On a tangentially related aside, I’ve found this recipe to be really good and better than any traditional pot pie I’ve had. I find the ration of filling to biscuit to be wrong so do it in a Dutch oven with 1.5 or 2x the filling and then the normal amount of topping. I haven’t done it outside but with the Dutch oven, no reason you couldn’t

https://thesaltymarshmallow.com/chicken-pot-pie-casserole-cheddar-biscuit-topping/

Back