THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The ingredient comparison

What does Fab or Butcher's do for a brisket that a beef broth based injection doesn't? I'm just curious.........never used these products before?

Does it change the flavor, intensify it, add more moisture, etc..

Thanks

According to the labels, the basic difference between the two is that Fab uses autolyzed yeast extract and disodium inosinate (E631) and disodium guanylate (E627). Autolyzed yeast extract is derived from yeast, and to me (and many others) it imparts a somewhat of a bouillon-like yeasty flavor that I'm not overly fond of when tasting the raw powder out the bag. It's a spice rather than a flavor enhancer, but it does produce a small amount of natural glutamate not unlike MSG. Theoretically, you can cut down on salt if you add yeast extract, but unfortunately it's not readily available in small quantities. You'll find it mainly used in processed foods like cereals and chips. If you do find it, use it in a ratio of 100:1.

Disodium inosinate (E631) and disodium guanylate (E627) are flavor enhancers (hence the "E" number) and are usually found in a combination of 1:1. It's pricey at about $25 a pound (hence the higher price for FAB), but it's usually used in a ratio of 1000:1, so a little goes a long way. This stuff is really strong! Using regular beef bouillon per instructions with just an 1/8 teaspoon of this stuff made me spit it out. It's not salty, it's just really magnifies the taste for the beef flavor of the bouillon, which doesn't work well when not mixed with soup or veggies or something else.

Sodium phosphate in both of these mixes "improves" texture by producing CO2 gas bubble during the cook that leave tiny spaces between the meat. It also balances pH, so not good for bark (you want a low pH). Xanthin gum acts as an emulsifier and stabilizer that makes the mix thick and suspends other ingredients more evenly when added to a liquid. It's tasteless really, but adding too much will give foods a slippery texture. Use in a ratio about 100:1.

**Just a note that sodium phosphates are used in constipation medication, so now we know why BBQ Bubba went running to the toilet.

So when choosing between the two, FAB will add a flavor to your profile that you may or may not want, while Butcher's is more just purely flavor enhancers.

I personally like the Butchers but then again, I'm biased.

Any form of Fab sent me running to the bathroom.

This is so true, I seen him at what we refer to as the "Denny's Incident"!

I have always liked Butchers products and see no reason to switch. You cant go wrong giving them a try.

New Brethren sport? Finding the oldest post you can to bring back from the dead!

Next up: I just saw someone smoking with pellets! Those can't possibly be allowed in a BBQ contest.

:becky:

Last edited:
This thread was raised from the dead.

HAHAHAH Yeah it was over 5 years old.:doh:

New Brethren sport? Finding the oldest post you can to bring back from the dead!

Next up: I just saw someone smoking with pellets! Those can't possibly be allowed in a BBQ contest.

:becky:

but to those starting out, this is useful and relevant information. Our archive goes back 11 years.. thats what makes us so special. :) :wacko:

Short Bus, here we are! :mrgreen:

I didn't even realize the date on this thread. Was just trying to figure out how this guy out here was making pretty damn good brisket with a ****ty smoker, some crazy local wood I've never heard of, and no method at all. Found out he was using Fab injection mix, but he imports that stuff a few bags at a time. I found ever ingredient on the package and read quite a bit on the quantities to mix in.

The kicker, I've basically made nearly 14 lbs of the same stuff for USD$53. That's surely enough to raise the dead.

I actually have tried the big three and for me the Fab product line fits best with the way I cook and the flavors I like. I don't mix as "heavy" as suggested and my pork injection is complicated, but FAB kicks it up a few notches for me. Moisture is never a problem with Fab.

Sal

I didn't even realize the date on this thread. Was just trying to figure out how this guy out here was making pretty damn good brisket with a ****ty smoker, some crazy local wood I've never heard of, and no method at all. Found out he was using Fab injection mix, but he imports that stuff a few bags at a time. I found ever ingredient on the package and read quite a bit on the quantities to mix in.

The kicker, I've basically made nearly 14 lbs of the same stuff for USD$53. That's surely enough to raise the dead.

If it tastes worth a darn, that amount should do 4 or 5 entire cows!

I actually have tried the big three and for me the Fab product line fits best with the way I cook and the flavors I like. I don't mix as "heavy" as suggested and my pork injection is complicated, but FAB kicks it up a few notches for me. Moisture is never a problem with Fab.

Sal

What I'm curious about is whether anyone has tried an equal parts mixture of the big three brisket injections and how was it?

I was on page 2 before I realized the dates. Just goes to show you that BBQ cooking isn't like the technology based products. What was working 5 years ago still works today.

Back