THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

At $7 for 30# I’d buy 3-4 bags. Smaller pieces light up and grill just fine and save the nicer pieces for smoking.

I bought 5 bags from Walmart.
First two were awesome lump.
Third bad basically exploded with sparks every time I lit the stuff. Still have half of it left.
Fourth bag is a good one but it has a lot of crushed pieces in it.
No idea what to expect from the fifth bag.

Walmart still has more. Not so sure I want to risk another fireworks bag...but the price is right.

Last edited:
I bought a couple bags back in early summer. Nice plump bags on top of the stack. Decent lump but it was $14 bag. They still have it at Walmart but the bags are much flatter so I know a lot of it is crushed. I'll pass unless it goes on clearance.

Cannot speak to the lump question, but the briquettes were the foulest smelling, fastest burning charcoal I've ever used. As a result of that, I have steered away from the lump. Perhaps I should give it a try just to see.

Robert

Back