Expanding my horizons.

There's a difference between farm raised and wild shrimp. Taste and color. Wild shrimp have a better taste. High end grocery or fish market for those. You could also try prawns - LARGE shrimp - really good!

DSC02327a.jpg

I either marinate them, usually no longer than an hour OR brine them for 10 minutes, followed by marinating them in a scampi type of mixture (oil, lemon juice, garlic, herbs) for 15 or 20 minutes.

I leave the shells on to hold as much flavor as possible and also to protect the shrimp when cooking. These were cooked raised direct. Once they curl and the shells start to change color, watch them close. They have to come off before they are completely done .... they will finish on the platter.

You can also cook them in a heavy skillet on the Egg. Here is a favorite recipe: (you can cut back on the garlic, but why :biggrin:) Both the direct and skillet methods are listed.

Shrimp marinated in Garlic

1 lb. large prawns
15 cloves of garlic (at least)
¾ t salt
¾ t fresh ground pepper
¾ t white vinegar
3-6 T olive oil
3-5 T butter
3-5 T fresh lime juice

From the underside, using scissors, cut the underbelly only. You can leave the heads and legs on.

Prepare 7 or 8 cloves of garlic by: Finely chopping or puree in blender or use garlic press. The prepared garlic in the jar works great also.

Marinate prawns in garlic, vinegar, salt and pepper for about one hour in a plastic baggie, turning at least three times.

Cook Method #1: Grill raised direct over a medium fire, or direct over a smaller fire until almost done. Have a skillet with 2T of butter and a splash of olive heated on the stove. Add 7 or 8 cloves (or more) of chopped garlic, add grilled shrimp, toss for about 1 minute (be careful not to burn the garlic!) Remove from the heat, add the lime juice and toss for 1 more minute.

Dump everything into a platter and serve.

Cook Method #2: Preheat a heavy skillet on the Egg. Add about half of the butter and the olive oil. Add the prawns (and the marinade) and sauté allowing the shells turn a nice orange color. About 4 to 6 minutes depending on the size of the shrimp. Don’t overcook the shrimp! Add 7 or 8 cloves (or more) of chopped garlic and the rest of the butter and remove from the cooker. Toss for about 1 minute (be careful not to burn the garlic!) Add the lime juice and toss for 1 more minute.

Dump everything into a platter and serve.

For sweet potatoes, I oil the skin, sprinkle with kosher salt and cook on a piece of foil for about an hour at 300° to 350° until they are nice and soft. Use the plate setter for this cook, then remove it.

For timing of all 3 on the Egg, I would cook the taters first then remove and wrap in foil. Then I would ramp up the pit and grill the steaks and plan on a 10 minute rest during which I would cook the shrimp. The skillet method would probably work best here because it is easier to control and the cook is faster.

Those shrimp look great. I usually grill but the toss in butter & garlic sounds good. On my list!!

i knew this thread was missing something...

christmas2007-021.jpg

vinnysbeeftenderloin-018.jpg

vinnysbeeftenderloin-017.jpg

sfdporkbutt-142.jpg

vinnysprimerib-036.jpg

vinnysprimerib-037.jpg

michigan20007-003.jpg

michigan20007-005.jpg

lobster_n_shrimp-009.jpg

davebachelorpartymay07-003.jpg

vinnys-002.jpg

11jun06-002_800.jpg

sorry... got carried away :biggrin:

Rick after reading your first post I thought you were going to Shrimp, I mean skimp on the pictures :biggrin:. Again thanks for all ideas.

Best way to eat the grilled shrimp....on corn or flour tortillas with some salsa, shredded cabbage raw, spicy ranch dressing
Was one of my favorite meals....cant eat em anymore I inherited gout from my father.

Just so you know... there are many kinds of shrimp depending on what kind of water they come out of. My favorite are east coast white shrimp in a 10-15 count (that is how many make up a pound). Lots of folks love Key West pinks but to me any pink shrimp has too strong of an iodine taste.

Like a bunch of people have said though... just don't overcook them!!!

I'm no expert on shrimp. I don't eat things that live underwater. But, I was watching a cooking show and IIRC, they said to remember C and O when cooking shrimp. When the shrimp looks like a C it's cooked. When it looks like an O, it's overcooked.

I'm no expert on shrimp. I don't eat things that live underwater. But, I was watching a cooking show and IIRC, they said to remember C and O when cooking shrimp. When the shrimp looks like a C it's cooked. When it looks like an O, it's overcooked.
That's interesting... I'll have to write a note to myself to check that out.:rolleyes:

Bear with me, What is the white ones I always see in the seafood case?
white shrimp are 1 species of shrimp. for the grill i'd do 10-15 count.
white shrimp are generally sweeter & not as tough than say brown or pink and don't contain the iodine that brownies do.
whites are generally caught close to shore during the fall & winter.browns are a summer shrimp(in texas anyway) pinks are imported from nicaragua,although most shrimp you see in the store are chinese farm raised.
if yer able, buy directly off a boat or online from a seafood broker that only sells american wild caught shrimp. between imports & fuel prices we had to park & sell our boats. hope it helped.

Back