"Exotic" Wood Experiences

Plum - my favorite wood. Sweet, soft, but light so it can't be used on beef and would be soft on pork imo. There's a subtle flavor which is hard to identify.

wine barrels - fantastic, it is not a gimmick. Med bodied smoke (with the wood) for meats where some wine would enhance the flavor. Love it on cheese. (it's flavored oak)

bourbon barrels - love it, you CAN taste the sweet richness of the bourbon. Good chunks are hard to get. (it's flavored oak)

Grape - tart, good for specialized cooks

pecan - beautiful wood, medium bodied, won't stand up to beef IMO. Pecan smoke on pork smells like heaven.

Peach - didn't do anything for me, maybe my wood was poor

Not impressed with citrus woods

Be suspicious of anyone who says "smoke is smoke."

I have to agree with the others, Pecan it is my go to wood now. And apple with a little cherry for pork. I used to only use mesquite but I've learned better now. I have been playing with Alder and Maple lately definitely different.

I am totally in agreement with the aforementioned opinions of Pecan wood. Becoming my "go to" along with a little bit of oak for pork.

I also agree with Vision about the Wine and Bourbon barrels. However, I've been able to find good chunks relatively easily on the internet.

I'm a big fan of peach and apple as well, but as a newbie to the world of BBQ cooking, am still trying to garner information and draw on experiences of others in directing my "next experiments." :grin:

Glad to hear of others' experiences with "exotic" woods. Definitely food (or fuel) for thought...

Hawaiian Kiawe wood is probably my most exotic used in my smokes. It is related to the mesquite family.

I love Citrus woods Lemon, Orange, Grapefruit, and Lime but these have to be ordered on-line.

Fruit woods Apple, Cherry, Peach, Plum are common for me to use.

The oddest: I use corn cobs with my hickory for smoking hams with extended smoking sessions .

Smoke is not smoke, each wood has a different level of flavor and smoke to impart.

Not necessarily exotic, but also not readily available...I primarily use texas red oak from the core of a very mature tree. But it also just so happens we had a monster red oak go do in a storm at the ranch about a year ago. We also have lots of pecan trees, which is my second most used.

As far as exotic, the only true exotic I use is pimento wood from the Jamaican Allspice tree. But it's very limited considering the few importers and the hassle of bringing back from vacation. But I absolutely love the flavor on pork and chicken.

I'm a fan of maple, and seeing as at any given time I've got 10+ cord of it split and dried in my yard (I heat my home almost exclusively with wood), I've got loads (literally) of it!

What are the citrus woods profiles like?

The citrus is slightly tangy with a hint of fruit flavors. Great for seafood, but have used on pork and chicken with great results. Nectarine and Apricot are similar to peach but with a slightly sweeter flavor flavor.

What do corn cobs do?

use this for bacon and ham. Put corn cobs on fire and it gives an aroma of popcorn cooking. Gives a great smokey flavor without overpowering the meat.

I use 50/50 mixture of corn cobs and hickory for great flavor on my bacon and home cured ham.

Maple is nice I was surprised not to see that listed. It’s not Exotic but nice. I had a 30 yard dumper of mostly beech (blocks for my wood stove (Home heating)) I liked it a lot. I use Walnut its sharp rough smoke. I use this after a couple of nights the neighbor’s dogs barking. I set up the smokers for a nice long slow burn. I wait till the evening heat settles and breeze is calm. Then I go sit inside with my central air on and laugh.

maple is nice i was surprised not to see that listed. It’s not exotic but nice. I had a 30 yard dumper of mostly beech (blocks for my wood stove (home heating)) i liked it a lot. I use walnut its sharp rough smoke. I use this after a couple of nights the neighbor’s dogs barking. I set up the smokers for a nice long slow burn. I wait till the evening heat settles and breeze is calm. Then i go sit inside with my central air on and laugh.

lol

What about tea leaves? I've been using proper tea lately, haven't touched a tea bag in ages.

Recently I made a big batch of iced tea, I used about 6 teaspoons of leaves, which after being steeped made a fist size mound of leaves. I wondered what it would be like, then dumped them in the garden like usual.

I'm a big fan of citrus wood for items. That may be because I have a big orange tree in the back yard but I do like the flavor for fish, paella, and chicken. Most of my big cuts go on the FEC so I'm limited there.

Olive is alright as is pistachio. I do not like almond wood, it has a very distinct flavor to me.

Back