Evie Maes trailer build

No23 is getting seasoned finally! It does not have slick beautiful welds slicker than grease like a Shirley by master welders of 35 years, it may not be low priced like a Shirley or have all the capacity, but holy cow does this thing rips and only a 12 week wait. No lack of draft here. It's a BBQ wind tunnel.

2a0cdpk.jpg

308eka8.jpg

If it works for you that's all that matters. It's amazing how good a well designed cooker can draft.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Beautiful rig, I actually have a Shirley and don't think it's a clone like one of the ops said. I really like the temp probe placement. With the smoke stack folded over, reminds me of those pistol styles rigs haha.

How's it running? Any updates or additional thoughts? Some pictures of your 'cooks' would be nice!

TIA,
Sid

How's it running? Any updates or additional thoughts? Some pictures of your 'cooks' would be nice!

TIA,
Sid

Runs like a well oiled machine. I just don't see how you could make it draw any better or cook anymore even. And because it draws so well, the "fire management" part of it seems to be a lot easier than my old Klose. The Klose was not difficult, but this easier. Everything is easier and more even than my old Klose. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

This is also my first experience with reverse flow. I think it has advantages, especially on smaller sized cookers.

Runs like a well oiled machine. I just don't see how you could make it draw any better or cook anymore even. And because it draws so well, the "fire management" part of it seems to be a lot easier than my old Klose. The Klose was not difficult, but this easier. Everything is easier and more even than my old Klose. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

This is also my first experience with reverse flow. I think it has advantages, especially on smaller sized cookers.

So, how does this RF compare to any similar sized direct flow offsets you have cooked on or been around others who have used? I know Dylan Taylor has that 500 gallon DF from Austin Smoke Works in his back yard that you had the class at. Curious on temp consistency across chamber, firebox management, final product and anything else you’re willing to share between the two. I would like either a 250 or 500 on a trailer and have just been considering DF up to this point...

So, how does this RF compare to any similar sized direct flow offsets you have cooked on or been around others who have used? I know Dylan Taylor has that 500 gallon DF from Austin Smoke Works in his back yard that you had the class at. Curious on temp consistency across chamber, firebox management, final product and anything else you’re willing to share between the two. I would like either a 250 or 500 on a trailer and have just been considering DF up to this point...

All I have to compare my Evie Mae's to is Dylan's Austin Smoke Works (same as a Moberg) from that one day. I think the direct flow cooks a bit faster and you lose a little real estate on the firebox end of a direct flow. Other than that they are similar in my opinion. Both draft like crazy, fire management is the same on both, stupid simple. No coal baskets or ash pans to mess with. Both have heavy insulation. Mine is so well insulated I have trouble trying to shut things down. I would assume Moberg is the same. My coal bed can remain for hours even when I try to choke it all out.

If you flipped a coin Moberg vs Evie Mae's, I don't you would be disappointed either way.

There's a place in Houston called Reveille Barbecue Company that uses a Evie Mae's 500 gallon reverse flow. One of the owner's named James McFarland used to work at Tejas where they use Moberg. So he has experience with both. Maybe chat with him if you're on the fence and have questions. I talked him a bit on one of my visits about what he liked better. He said he prefers the Moberg but nothing wrong with the Evie Mae's, it's just different.

pitmaster@reveillebbq.com
https://www.instagram.com/reveillebbq

I put a deposit on a 250 Moberg the same time I put one on my Evie Mae's. I was curious about the reverse flow, and with the giant stack I figured it has to draft as good as the Moberg. I'm now on the fence if I should get my deposit back on the Moberg. I'm still curious about them, but I just don't see it being that much better, it's just preference.

2pobat1.png

All I have to compare my Evie Mae's to is Dylan's Austin Smoke Works (same as a Moberg) from that one day. I think the direct flow cooks a bit faster and you lose a little real estate on the firebox end of a direct flow. Other than that they are similar in my opinion. Both draft like crazy, fire management is the same on both, stupid simple. No coal baskets or ash pans to mess with. Both have heavy insulation. Mine is so well insulated I have trouble trying to shut things down. I would assume Moberg is the same. My coal bed can remain for hours even when I try to choke it all out.

If you flipped a coin Moberg vs Evie Mae's, I don't you would be disappointed either way.

There's a place in Houston called Reveille Barbecue Company that uses a Evie Mae's 500 gallon reverse flow. One of the owner's named James McFarland used to work at Tejas where they use Moberg. So he has experience with both. Maybe chat with him if you're on the fence and have questions. I talked him a bit on one of my visits about what he liked better. He said he prefers the Moberg but nothing wrong with the Evie Mae's, it's just different.

I put a deposit on a 250 Moberg the same time I put one on my Evie Mae's. I was curious about the reverse flow, and with the giant stack I figured it has to draft as good as the Moberg. I'm now on the fence if I should get my deposit back on the Moberg. I'm still curious about them, but I just don't see it being that much better, it's just preference.

2pobat1.png

Yeah, Reveille used my Moberg for the Woodlands BBQ Fest since their Evie Mae's pit is now anchored inside the smokehouse. He told me pretty much the same thing. Said the reverse flow took a little more time to get it dialed in, but other than that the results are pretty much the same. Pros and cons to each. Either way they're making killer bbq.

2pobat1.png

Rockinar...this is awesome info and really helpful. I’ve been locked in on a Moberg (or like) DF for a while now as mentioned but I’m intrigued by the Evie Mae RF unit. Plus I’m sure it would come a LOT sooner. Greatly appreciate your response and referral.

Is there any additional information online about their smokers?

They don't really have any info on the website. You can email Arnis questions @ info@eviemaesbbq.com They basically have a backyard pit on castors, then they do "cabinet style" like mine, and also do the regular propane tank 250, 500, 1000 reverse flow on skid or trailers.

Mine was $5500. A regular 250 gallon propane trailer is a tad over $6K. I don't know about the others.

Back