Evie Mae smoker or ...

Sid Post

is Blowin Smoke!
After a long time away, I've finally got most of the family issues taken care of so, I'm trying to get back to my BBQ, grilling and, smoking good times.

I'm interested in owner reports and general reviews of the Evie Mae options. Initially, I'm thinking about a 'patio' model being most practical but, a small trailer is a possibility too. It looks like Rockinar has a trailer model built but, I can't see any of the pictures in that thread. I'm hoping some owners will post some review and post some pictures as the website content leaves a lot to my imagination. :wink: If I make it down to Belton for the Bash, maybe I can make a side trip to Evie Mae's... in addition to Lockhart!

Who else makes a similar style 'reverse flow' smoker? Austin Smoke Works and some other names are new to me and most of what I see online is targeted to commercial 500-gallon and 1000-gallon models.

Disclaimer: I have great respect for Shirley Fabrication and the people behind it but, even though they build one heck of a smoker I'm really looking for something more traditional 'old school' Texas in style. I know they could build me a pipe smoker but, the long wait time for a custom build is not something I'm up for at this point in my life.

TIA,
Sid

Austin Smoke Works will do a 250 gallon, they just don't advertise it. Good news is super short wait time (12 weeks). Bad news is the sticker shock. $7500 for a 250 trailer. You cant see my original pics because they were uploaded to TinyPic, which folded last month.

This is just my opinion, I would shop for a builder that builds pits that draft properly and have a reputation for doing so. With the popularity of BBQ, everyone in Texas with a MIG welder and a welding hood is jumping into building pits, and some don't draft properly. There's even some builders that have been around for a long time that don't draft properly and they won't change it.

There's only a handful of Texas (only talking about TX builders) builders I would buy a trailer from. In no particular order, Evie Mae's, Moberg, Milscale Metal Works, Austin Smoke Works. There's probably a couple others I can't think of right now I might consider. But those would be my top 4. All proven drafters and proven in top Texas BBQ joints. You're not going to buy one and start scratching you head on why it won't draft.

Look that this video of the pit Moberg just built for that rapper Warren G. You're not going to see this kind of draft on 90% of pit builders. This is where my bar is set. If it does not pull a draft like this, I'm not interested.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2m-EkhHDKn/

EvieMaes.jpg

IMG-0378.jpg

IMG-0401.jpg

IMG-0805.jpg

Last edited:
Sid there are lots of good pit builds that most folks don’t know of. In your area check out East Texas smokers the in Royce City there is Big Phil’s smokers and AJs Customer cookers in Ft Worth. Also Johnson’s in Ennis.

Austin Smoke Works will do a 250 gallon, they just don't advertise it. Good news is super short wait time (12 weeks). Bad news is the sticker shock. $7500 for a 250 trailer. You cant see my original pics because they were uploaded to TinyPic, which folded last month.

This is just my opinion, I would shop for a builder that builds pits that draft properly and have a reputation for doing so. With the popularity of BBQ, everyone in Texas with a MIG welder and a welding hood is jumping into building pits, and some don't draft properly. There's even some builders that have been around for a long time that don't draft properly and they won't change it.

There's only a handful of Texas (only talking about TX builders) builders I would buy a trailer from. In no particular order, Evie Mae's, Moberg, Milscale Metal Works, Austin Smoke Works. There's probably a couple others I can't think of right now I might consider. But those would be my top 4. All proven drafters and proven in top Texas BBQ joints. You're not going to buy one and start scratching you head on why it won't draft.

Look that this video of the pit Moberg just built for that rapper Warren G. You're not going to see this kind of draft on 90% of pit builders. This is where my bar is set. If it does not pull a draft like this, I'm not interested.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2m-EkhHDKn/

EvieMaes.jpg

IMG-0378.jpg

IMG-0401.jpg

IMG-0805.jpg

What he said 100 percent!

Sid there are lots of good pit builds that most folks don’t know of. In your area check out East Texas smokers the in Royce City there is Big Phil’s smokers and AJs Customer cookers in Ft Worth. Also Johnson’s in Ennis.

I've come close to Johnson in the past. I really want to stay with a Central Texas classic as mentioned above.

Not sure why but, Mill Scale never really caught my interest. Moberg has been one I kept an eye for a long time but, I waffled on direct flow versus reverse flow (i.e Moberg vs. Shirley). Austin Smoke Works looks really nice for direct flow as well. I'm leaning towards Evie Mae's because I prefer reverse flow and like the aesthetics of the classic look, whether pipe or a propane tank versus a square back flat door model.

Common sense though suggests a Shirley as I'm getting older with a soft shoulder so, a heavy pipe/propane door even with counterweight probably isn't the optimal choice.

I see you have already contacted Ruger about his. That looks right up your alley.

I was getting ready for Thursday trip to get it after getting the money together today but, Trevor had something come up so it came off the market.

The search continues ... :cry: So close ...

I was getting ready for Thursday trip to get it after getting the money together today but, Trevor had something come up so it came off the market.

And Av8er just sold his Shirley.[emoji22]
How much $$$ do you have? Might talk me out of mine. [emoji23] welcome back!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

My vote is still Evie Mae's if going reverse flow. It says something when Mill Scale and other builders are recommending Arnis on Instagram and such. Not to mention, if you haven't been to their restaurant that is an experience in and of itself.

The entire family was great, talking with the guys while they are cooking, when I am able to get another trailer pit Arnis is right their on my list to make the 1600 mile round trip again because of everything above.

Look at the fire door on Eviemay pit. It is on the side of the pit and opens to the rear. If you loading the fire box you don't have to go to the rear of the pit. Next its a trailer if the door comes open on the road the wind will keep it closed. On 99% of trailers with door on the rear if it come open on the road it flops around and can wrap door or break hinges.

I built my trailer 25 years ago with side opening fire box, Not many around like this and I like it. Plus the wind up the intake does not blow ash into cook chamber as many do.

Look at the fire door on Eviemay pit. It is on the side of the pit and opens to the rear. If you loading the fire box you don't have to go to the rear of the pit. Next its a trailer if the door comes open on the road the wind will keep it closed. On 99% of trailers with door on the rear if it come open on the road it flops around and can wrap door or break hinges.

I built my trailer 25 years ago with side opening fire box, Not many around like this and I like it. Plus the wind up the intake does not blow ash into cook chamber as many do.

Both are great points missed by many people fantasy shopping on the web. The voice of experience is missing in many people's posts these days on most forums in general.

Little details like this is why people seeming pay 'inflated prices'. However, just like the surgeon two decades out of of med school versus the newly minted surgeon, you get what you pay for. Experience costs and with experience comes better quality IF the person in question cares about their craft.

Back