THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please stop trying to pick a fight on here, you've done it too many times and it has no place on the Brethren

No this does not need a reply from you...

Lol. what are you going on about this time Norm?

no. you dont have to reply lol.

I'm not opposed to a pellet cooker but for me cooking anything using wood smoke is an event. I like planning for the work. I'm not looking for convenience at all because I like manipulating vents and controlling temps manually. A couple guys at work bought pellet cookers and they told me they get burned out on BBQ. That's because they go home and plug-and-play their pellet poopers. Zero adventure in that. I like to prepare for the cook instead of relying on the convenience. To me that's more fun and I enjoy the food better. I dont think I cold ever get burned out on cue.

I also very much like planning a cook, discussing with the misses what I'm going to cook on the stick burner next weekend etc But I also like the convenience of my pellet grill, decide tonight I want ribs tomorrow evening, thaw them in the morning and put them on the pellet grill while I'm working from the home office. There's no 'occasion' nor adventure in that but I am satisfying my smoked meat habbit.

sitting In the dark drinking coffee. Weak arse coffee. Bleh. Canceled my 0800 tee time. Winds 35mph- misty and drizzle since 0430.

Reading about pellets. Iā€™m starting from zero. From zero PC knowledge to zero PC expectations. Academy carries B&B Pellets. Did some searching and ā€œtheyā€ say B&B is rebrand BBQā€™er Delight. My grocery stores are even carrying pellets. Pellets are everywhere.
I still have zero concerns about ordering the brand or size- Reputation seems solid. Itā€™s in Hotchkiss Il this morning in route. Iā€™m more concerned with damage in transit. Iā€™ve got zero control over that.
Lots of zeroā€™s involved.

Bob, I believe you would be a cool guy to hang out with! I am a word guy, crosswords, Scrabble, you name it. I bet my jaws would ache by the end of the day from laughter!

Thanks Loyd for the very kind words. I have to admit I am very good at word games as long as I have my phone handy and can Google the answer! My wife would tell you that her head aches at the end of the day rather than her jaws from my attempts at humor.:-D

On the off chance that you can make it to St. Louis on June 30 for the St. Louis Area BBQ Bash, you can meet me and some real cool Brethren. Would love to have you join us.

Smoke on!

I think the true lure to pellet grills is convenience. I love mine but if I had more time it would get less and less use. Purely judging by your posts you seem like a person who has the time and loves to cook. Honestly Im not even sure you would enjoy it. Its really just twisting a knob and coming back to pretty good food a little while later.
I fail to see how it is any more convenient than my WSM, especially if you add an ATC to it. Also, the mechanical and electrical parts are more prone to failure. Lastly, if for some reason we lose power, the WSM will still work.

Last edited:
I fail to see how it is any more convenient than my WSM, especially if you add an ATC to it. Also, the mechanical and electrical parts are more prone to failure. Lastly, if for some reason we lose power, the WSM will still work.

Good points but I don't think op bought it for convenience

Looking forward to your pellet pooping cooks, Adams! I have a feeling Iā€™ll be having to get a pooper someday in the next 10 years or so myself as many associations in retirement communities ban charcoal grills. This option would be waaaay more preferable than propane smokers/ grills.

I see there is a lot of controversy between pellet smokers and stick burners. I must reiterate that I wouldn't mind having a pellet grill. I'm just not sure how often I would use it. Then again I may fall in love with it. About the only two meats I don't obsess and hover over are the Thanksgiving turkey and ham for the holidays. My Old Smokey electric belts those every time. I am curious what a PG would do with a ham and turkey. If I got one it wouldn't be a cheap one and my garage is packed full already. Maybe some day.

For us no it may not be more convenient. To the layman though it's a different story. I know guys who won't fiddle with charcoal because it takes too long and it's harder to control temps than a gasser. We just use a weed burner or a chimney and no problem. They don't even know what a chimney is. We can adjust things with a vents and use tools to gauge the temp. They got a cheap bi metal in the lid and 4 knobs. Even ATC has a learning curve. Charcoal is dirty to them, pellets are less mess. Every single aspect is easier even fuel choice. No worries about clean fires or wood ratio. Even clean up is more convenient.

With technology getting better driving the price down and some major marketing campaigns pellets are here to stay. They are in every big box store already.

For us no it may not be more convenient. To the layman though it's a different story. I know guys who won't fiddle with charcoal because it takes too long and it's harder to control temps than a gasser. We just use a weed burner or a chimney and no problem. They don't even know what a chimney is. We can adjust things with a vents and use tools to gauge the temp. They got a cheap bi metal in the lid and 4 knobs. Even ATC has a learning curve. Charcoal is dirty to them, pellets are less mess. Every single aspect is easier even fuel choice. No worries about clean fires or wood ratio. Even clean up is more convenient.

With technology getting better driving the price down and some major marketing campaigns pellets are here to stay. They are in every big box store already.

That in a nutshell exemplifies the steady and irreversible decline of our civilization. We are indeed doomed! </sarcasm>

I see there is a lot of controversy between pellet smokers and stick burners. I must reiterate that I wouldn't mind having a pellet grill. I'm just not sure how often I would use it. Then again I may fall in love with it. About the only two meats I don't obsess and hover over are the Thanksgiving turkey and ham for the holidays. My Old Smokey electric belts those every time. I am curious what a PG would do with a ham and turkey. If I got one it wouldn't be a cheap one and my garage is packed full already. Maybe some day.

Turkey breast bone in, pellet grill with Naturific Harvest Brine
pOhs6Zuh.jpg

quVo7b2h.jpg

qnshAFWh.jpg

bNzRoVkh.jpg

Probably wonā€™t arrive until Monday. May as well get ready.

Last edited:
Back