THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Doing some work on forum. You may experience an error when u try to post or save a setting. It's only temporary.

Hoss

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Any opinions? Sounds to me like some savvy YouTubers taking it to another level.Google EMBERS TV if you are interested. You’re welcome.

With all the nonsense on TV this would be a welcome relief. I'm not fond of the game show aspect of cooking networks. It would be difficult to care less about cupcake battles or cake decorations.
Smoked and grilled meats it would take a lifetime to view what's available on YouTube, FB, Insta, pbs, Hulu, Roku etc etc.

When I read I was hoping it was gonna be one of those free streams. That's thing about streaming pay, it can add up if not careful.

I'm going to wait and see how it evolves for a minute or three.
Thanks for post up, this is first I'd heard

Those guys are savvy.They have banked a respectable following.I think they are smart enough to take it next level.Just my opinion.I enjoy their content.I pay for other entertainment venues.What is the difference? I just wish I had thought of it.

With all the nonsense on TV this would be a welcome relief. I'm not fond of the game show aspect of cooking networks. It would be difficult to care less about cupcake battles or cake decorations.
Yep, I used to like the Food Network when they actually showed/taught you how to cook. Young people are at a disadvantage these days if they don't have a friend or family member that knows how to cook.

I remember years ago, there was a show called How to boil water. Watched it a few times, it was a great show to teach someone the basics. It should now be called the Food Gameshow Network.

Those guys are savvy.They have banked a respectable following.I think they are smart enough to take it next level.Just my opinion.I enjoy their content.I pay for other entertainment venues.What is the difference? I just wish I had thought of it.

They get the right content in the right format, in my opinion they're definitely at the right time, could be fun.
Still gonna wait 3 minutes though

Jeremy Yoder. They love him here. :heh:

Not knocking on my man. I enjoyed watched his content in the beginning but now he's just driving brisket prices way up. :twitch: He appeals to the hipster types and newbs, one hitter quitters by introducing them to Q. He can definitely host a show and he found his niche.

Not promoting anything.Just another bbq venue I just became aware of.Sorry Parrothead.Meant no harm. I just enjoy the spreading of the BBQ word and what is available to view.My apologies.It’s almost done.

Last edited:
Not promoting anything.Just another bbq venue I just became aware of.Sorry Parrothead.Meant no harm. I just enjoy the spreading of the BBQ word and what is available to view.My apologies.it’s almost done.

Who's parrothead?
I must be blocked

Someone posted a statement admonishing me for mentioning above reference from someone named parrothead.I may have hit wrong response button.Not directed at you Adam’s.

I wish them well but I have seen so much free content on YouTube that I have no desire to pay to see more of it. I feel this forum deserves my donation more. Who knows, maybe I'll eat my words if it becomes wildly popular.

I wish them well but I have seen so much free content on YouTube that I have no desire to pay to see more of it. I feel this forum deserves my donation more. Who knows, maybe I'll eat my words if it becomes wildly popular.

Just saying it is yet another venue to learn out of the box techniques and methods.No comparison to this site,just another venue to learn things unfamiliar to individuals.

Jeremy Yoder. They love him here. :heh:

Not knocking on my man. I enjoyed watched his content in the beginning but now he's just driving brisket prices way up. :twitch: He appeals to the hipster types and newbs, one hitter quitters by introducing them to Q. He can definitely host a show and he found his niche.

I ain’t t hatin on success.He seems to be doing OK.He is nerdy but I enjoy his content.

I put a lot of thought into this comment before submitting it. Yesterday, while having lunch, I watched what essentially amounted to a 10-minute advertisement on Yoder's channel, and it left me somewhat unimpressed.

Barbecue isn't complex unless you intentionally make it so. Some YouTubers are attaching humidifiers, spinning plates, radiators, and steam injectors to their $100 sheet metal stick burners just to get views and claim they're "cooking the ultimate brisket." Others are straying further and further from the essence of barbecue, experimenting with bizarre ideas like aging brisket until it's rotten and unsafe for consumption, using an oven with liquid smoke, and other weird pointless endeavors.

I used to run a small barbecue channel on YouTube as a hobby because I genuinely love cooking (and eating) barbecue. I thought it would be nice to shoot some videos and share them because I enjoy watching other people cook barbecue. I relish seeing how they manage the fire and coals, observing their equipment in action. I don't own a Kamado, a gravity-fed smoker, or that peculiar contraption with smoke billowing out of a horizontal baffle while coals burn beneath it (I can't recall its name). I don't have a pellet cooker. Yet, I find immense satisfaction in watching someone light the coals, rearrange the coal bed, and toss sticks into a firebox. Why? I'm not entirely sure.

That's how my passion for barbecue began. However, in the past few years, I've noticed a significant shift in focus. A tremendous shift, in fact. YouTubers hardly show the cooking process anymore. Every video follows a similar formula:

1. Intro
2. 5 to 10 minutes of preparation, filled with catchphrases, memes, and product placements. Often, the preparation doesn't even include the actual meat but focuses on unusual sauces, bread, or side dishes.
3. A mere 10 seconds of actual cooking, often reduced to a quick "smoke it to a certain temperature for a certain time" before jumping to the final result, hours later.
4. 1 minute of sponsored content, promoting everything from meat to rubs, cookers, and hair trimmers.
5. 5 minutes of hyping up the end result and recapping what has already been shown.
6. 10 minutes of people eating on camera and reacting to each bite as if it's the best meal they've ever had, every single time.
7. A 2-minute outro, imploring viewers to like, subscribe, comment, subscribing to Patreon, check out the merchandise, and buy, buy, buy.

I don't appreciate this approach. Watching 20 minutes of thinly veiled advertising disguised as a barbecue video because I glimpsed 10 seconds of brisket on a cooking grate isn't my idea of enjoyable content.

I understand the motivation behind it, though. People want to monetize their passion and turn it into a business. So, in sequence, there's YouTube ad revenue, revenue from product placements promoting their own merchandise with calls to purchase rubs and apparel, revenue from sponsored segments (meat, thermometers, cookers, charcoal, and the list goes on), followed by more revenue from Patreon. Now, there's yet another streaming app where the same individuals who encourage you to buy a hair trimmer while watching a brisket cook also ask for a monthly fee to see their content.

Last year, I took the initiative to archive all of Jirby's videos because I consider them to be incredibly valuable, like liquid gold. I have a concern that one day he might attempt to monetize them and remove them from the public channel. Now, I'm contemplating whether I should do the same with Chuds' and Jeremy's content. However, I'm grappling with the idea because it essentially covers the same material that we've already watched and learned from.

There's a clear distinction between those who do it out of love and those who do it for marketing purposes. You can observe how many of these channels transform (or devolve, depending on your perspective) from a dude sharing his passion with others into a full-fledged LLC churning out long-format advertisements disguised as cooking videos. We're constantly surrounded by people trying to sell us something at every turn.

Barbecue isn't complicated. Wondering why I haven't posted a video in a year? It's because there's not much more to say about it. Here's pulled pork, here's brisket, here are ribs, here's chicken... After a dozen videos, you either start over and pass it as fresh content or venture into weird territory for the sake of views. I chose neither because I was doing it for fun, not for profit.

I genuinely appreciate individuals like Jeremy and Chuds who, in their early days, were just folks on a patio sharing their love for cooking with us all. I wish them success in their endeavors, but I won't be following their current content. There's a reason I enjoy watching content from people like Ry and Justin, but I'll never click on anything from Guga. I relish watching people cook barbecue, not advertisements.

I do think product placement advertising works. The Bride and I enjoy a dish called BBQ Frito Pie. It's one of the few times I use the word barbecue, barbeque, BBQ, B-B-Q etc preferring smoked or grilled instead. I had seen an ad for Franklin BBQ sauce. It's thinner than most any melted ice cream-ketchup textured Sauce. There is a drizzle of Sauce on a BBQ Frito Pie and Bride believes it is the ultimate Sauce to use. I'd have never known it had it not been for advertising. Same with Goldees, an ad. Bottom line I'm not opposed to ad's. I'd seen an inadvertent possibly product placement in the basement of an IG Sports thread. Sugar Free Big Red. Impossible to find in a store, online more expensive than I care to pay. But a BIG RED and smoked meat are pretty special.

BonT: I'm not going to say no to the stream, I'm a just gonna wait. And I do appreciate you posting this.

One of the issues I have with the big bbq channels is they become overproduced, glorified shopping channels. I’m all for the entrepreneurs and know they need to earn a living. But the thing the drew people to their channels was the fact that they were learning, trying, failing and showing on their channel.
I get a lot more out of someone showing a smoker they bought, or someone fixing up the crappy grill they’ve owned for years than the person showing you the smoker whom the sponsor sent.
Take Chuds for example - he’s built his channel from the ground up and has always tried to show all the steps. So you see him prep, cook and eat. There’s been failures and he’s shown them. But I find myself less interested these days as he’s got more successful and there’s more and more sponsors the videos are becoming stale.
More power to scientist and Al Frugoni but their backyard setups are akin to a tv show. It’s not obtainable for me and I can’t replicate (no matter how much they say “you could do this in your home oven”. Seeing some cook on a $7000 grill that they got free is just not interesting. There’s obviously an audience so more power to them.
When all these channels start getting big they all do the same thing. A click bait video - “bbq restaurant style on a backyard budget” sponsored by let’s just say Walmart. Everything is from Walmart- charcoal, meat, rubs, tools and the grill with absolutely every single add on or upgrade thrown in. Again these channels might as well be qvc.
Having a lot of bbq content in one place is a great idea but over produced content in a tv set environment is not worth the cost when on eBay there’s still a lot of great content for free.
Just my two cents. I wish them all the success.

Back