THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I started a new fire using less lit coals and was able to vary the temp between 240 and 275. Then, I was able to stabilize the temp over the last half hour at 250 degrees. So, I think adjusting the fire will be the answer to the problem.

picture.php

I will do a couple more trial runs on it before handing it over to my nephew to save him the frustration of trying to figure it out. This will be his first charcoal BBQ cooker and I want to make sure that he gets off to a good start.

It's getting there. I am cooking at 250 degrees F and it's taking a bit longer than I am used to since I normally cook at 275F. But, I want to make sure that the temp in this cooker can be kept down without flaring up.

picture.php

Great job on the conversion it should work well for your nephew. I love those little projects like that help pass the time and when your done you can make your self some great BBQ. Your off to the races with that one.

With electrics like that I've had good results doing like the photo below.
Place a few pieces of wood the same as the pictured briquettes and you're good to go.
Going with all charcoal will present airflow (and temp control) problems.
Keeping the electric element for most of the heat and adding combustibles for flavor works well.
006-1compeleccc.jpg

Or use the element to light the charcoal basket :thumb:

What would be the difference an electric element using wood chunks or charocoal using wood chunks ,both have heat and smoke. If i had to chose think I would go with electric with wood chips

What would be the difference an electric element using wood chunks or charocoal using wood chunks ,both have heat and smoke. If i had to chose think I would go with electric with wood chips

I'm not an anti-electric smoker person but there were two things driving this conversion. The first was the fact that my nephew couldn't find the proper electric cord for the smoker. The second is that I think fire produces superior BBQ when compared to an electric element cooker.

With the conversion, the smoker can use charcoal or lump and also will introduce the concepts of fire management to my nephew. He has been cooking his pork butts in a crock pot. Once he cooks a butt on this smoker, he will never go back to that.

Brethren, see those little plug doodads? Forget them. They allow too much air flow even when plugged in. After more experimentation I found that the plugs didn't provide a good enough seal. So, I will be replacing them with some 3/4" pipe and caps.

picture.php

I delivered the converted smoker to my nephew Sunday am. I showed him how to start a fire with a chimney, showed him how to use the vents to manage the temps, and showed him how to spatchcock a chicken and gave him some rubs to try out. He texted me throughout the cook and he actually did very well at maintaining the temp of the smoker.

Here are some of his messages -

Smoker holding solid at 280. Internal temp of chicken 160.

Internal temp 180.

Oh, my, the flavor is awesome!

I'm hooked!

picture.php

He took a pic on his cell phone and sent it. I think it turned out pretty good for a first cook on a smoker. His days of crock pot pork butt are over. :p Now, I have to get him signed up on the board.

My Brinkman was of the "Charcoal Smoker" variety where the lower bowl is for loading charcoal. I made a simple conversion by eliminating the "feet" that hold the smoker up and also hold the charcoal bowl.

Well, I didn't exactly "eliminate" them. I mounted them on the outside instead of the inside. I had to get the right height for them, but that only took a couple of tries.

I just sit the charcoal bowl with charcoal (and sometimes wood chips mixed in) on a small electric burner (I think it was under $10 at Wally World) and set the smoker over it. Then use the upper portion as you would if it were gas fired or you started the charcoal in a chimney.

I don't have to start the charcoal or do anything special. Just fill the bowl, plug in the hotplate and leave her alone till the meat is done.

It will burn at temp for about 8 hours before I need to check/add charcoal. I can do one refill before I need to empty the ashes.

Back