THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BigBarry

is Blowin Smoke!
BigBarry's Clams and Shrimp

Ingredients:

- 1/3lb fresh chorizo or Italian sausage, skin peeled and meat broken up
- 1 rib celery, diced
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 6 cloves of garlic, diced
- 1 Jalapeno diced (optional)
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- Zest and juice of one lemon
- Saffron threads (3-5)
- S&P to taste
- 18 Littleneck (or any small) clams
- 1.5LB Shrimp, peeled
- 1/2 C Dry white wine (Viognier, alborino, white rioja, pinot grigio or vermouth)
- 1.5 C Clam juice
- Hot sauce to taste
- Long loaf of bread (Italian, French, etc) sliced into long diagonal rounds
- 1/3 C Extra virgin olive oil for bread
- garlic clove finely minced

Cook in cast iron dutch oven directly on coals/lump/wood.

Combine 1/3 C EVOO and minced garlic in bowl and reserve.

Lightly salt vegetables when added to pot and stir constantly to prevent burning.

Saute celery and onions in 1-2 tb olive oil until slightly softened. Add sausage and saute until browning begins. Add tomatoes, jalapeno and garlic and more oil if needed.

Once tomatoes begin to soften, add saffron, lemon zest and juice, 1/2 C of white wine. Allow wine to reduce by 1/2 and then add 1.5 C clam juice and reduce by 1/2.

Taste broth and add S&P and hot sauce to taste.

Add clams and cover pot for 2 min. Add shrimp and cover pot. Once clams have opened and shrimp are pink, remove from heat (2-4 min.)

Brush bread rounds with oil and garlic mixture.

Place cleaned grate on grill and toast garlic bread slices.

Serve with garlic toast.

IMGP3762.JPG

IMGP3764.JPG

IMGP3765.JPG

that looks awesome! kind of a BBQ bouillabaisse!

now i have to go get a cast iron dutch oven.... wife would pitch a fit if the le crueset was placed directly on coals!!!

great recipe.....

Oh yeah,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'd hit the whole DO full of that good stuff. Look at the broth!!! Talk about full of flavor. While I love oysters, and mussels, clams are my all time favorite. I'd hit that over and over.....:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

It would be great over linguine. You could change the jalapenos to bell peppers.

The great thing about this kind of slop is you can use any shellfish - lobster, oysters, mussels and even mud bugs (crawfishies). Scallops would have to be put in near the end. Calamari would also be nice and also put in at the end.

Wow - now I am getting hungry!

Always great to see folks using cast iron... all of that just looks yummy!

Harbor Freight carries a 6 qt DO - http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=44705 Occasionally in HF stores you can find an 18 in. cast iron skillet too.

We've got a few of these we take camping, plus it features legs and a flat top w/raised rim. Like any cast iron, take care of it and it'll last forever.

Back