Duet of Pork Shoulder - Bolivan v Traditional

BrandonCA

Found some matches.
My neighbor is Bolivian and an excellent cook. He suggested I try a more Bolivian style seasoning blend on smoked pork shoulder. Last weekend he hosted a pool party at his house - I volunteered to smoke some meats. I hit costco and got a two pack of deboned pork shoulder. I prefer bone in but the price was right :)

Anyway, the first shoulder I did a traditional brown sugar, salt, lotsa other seasonings heavy rub applied with mustard, with the second, I got more creative.

First I made an injection with: white vinegar, olive oil, 3 heads garlic, thyme, paprika and a LOT of cumin... A LOT.

I strained this and stuffed the solids into pocket left where the bone was. Next, I injected it all over and let it sit for an hour.

To cook I ran both on my UDS over pecan/apple/kingsford comp for 8 hours at 225. I then wrapped them and bumped it up to 275 for 2 more. Let em rest and served.

A few thoughts:

1. No bark on the Bolivian. But wow was it good! I didn't expect such a strong, nice flavor from such a simple mix. The combo of the smoke, the heavy cumin and garlic was wonderful. I actually like it better than my own traditional pulled pork rub.

2. There were about 15 guests. At the end, there was a pile of leftovers from the "traditional" pulled pork - the cumin/garlic bomb was GONE.

We served it with a traditional Bolivian blended salsa called Llajwa. Really really good!

So, now that I know how good the potential is, what's next...

Well, my same neighbor happens to have a custom built outdoor wood fired oven. We plan on ordering a full shoulder with extra skin flap attached. Marinate it for 24 hours w/the vinegar, cumin, garlic blend then inject it.

I will smoke it for 8 hours to ~165 after which we plan on finishing it in the wood fired oven, to about 195, to get the cripsy lechon skin on the outside, slice, EAT.

I will take lotsa pics. I am pretty excited for this two stage, smoke then oven roast cook we've planned.

I thought you were going to rub it with Bolivian marching powder. :grin:

It sounds good, but I would add a complimentary garlic/cumin/salt/oil rub on the outside and skip the foil to get bark.

How did you make the injection? Sounds killer

Lets see - I did:

1.5 cup white vinegar
12 cloves garlic smashed then finely minced
5 tablespoons cumin
2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons sea salt
1 tablespoon thyme
1/3 cup olive oil

Whisked it and let it sit for an hour. Strained out and reserved hte solids to rub the meat/stuff in the pocket...

Back