Dry aging questions

jimdbird

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Name or Nickame
Jim
Introduction: (Questions at the end.)
This is my first post here, been reading for a while…now, on to the reason for posting.
I’ve wanted to try dry aging for a while now, so I went to my local Collage Meats Laboratory and placed my order.
I placed an order for a choice (grade 1 or 2, with, yield weight 1 or 2) 7 bone ribeye (109a).
What I received, a 29lb 109a…what a hunk of meat, must have come from a 1200-1500 lb steer.

Dry aging: (45 days) (start date 3/25/2019) (end date 5/9/2019)
Tried using Umai bag, it didn’t work (my fault). Put it back in the refrigerator naked.

Processing plan: (I’ve never done this before.)
Note: I plan to make petite steaks, that way I can eat smaller portions of tasty meat, with larger portions of vegetables
1) Remove fat cap

2) Peel off cap of ribeye (spinalis dorsi). Make into 4 oz steaks. Hoping for 12 cap steaks.

3) Remove rest of ribeye from rib bones. Trim all the fat and associated meat, from edges of eye meat (see questions), cut eyes into 4-6 oz steaks. Hope to get about 20 steaks…I did start with a 29 lb 109a.

4) Ribs, I haven’t decided whether to save as back ribs or trim the meat off and put in scrape meat pile…I don’t have a smoker.

Hoped for Outcome:
1) Cap steaks (4oz) ----------12 steaks
2) Eye steaks (4-6oz) -------20 steaks
3) Scrape meat (1.5 lb) -----30 ¼ lb hamburgers (1.5 lb scrape + 6 lb hamburger meat = 7.5 lb = 120 oz = 30 hamburgers)
4) Scrape fat ---- ???

Questions:
1) Scrape meat:
a) Should I get between 1-2 lbs of scrape meat? (See video 1)
b) Would ¼ lb dry aged meat added to 1 lb hamburger be enough to enhance the hamburgers?

2) Scrape fat: If I added some dry aged fat to 93% hamburger meat would it impart a dry aged flavor to the meat?

3) Fat cap:
a) Is the fat cap worth anything, or should it be thrown away?
b) Could it be used to enhance 93% hamburger?

Some of the reference videos I have watched:
1) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RE9ebbjwzKw
2) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dUiCb3LhO0

Thanks for reading.
Jim

Back