Drums beating for BBQ restaurant

Ecuaporker

Name or Nickame
Ramón
It has only been a few weeks since I built a cinder block smoker and started churning out some pretty decent BBQ where I live in Ecuador. Since then there have been a number of people suggesting I open a BBQ restaurant down here.

There has to be some people on here with really good reasons why it is a bad idea to open a bbq restaurant. Please help me by sharing your opinions and/or experiences.

Thanks so much!

There are threads that have discussed this in the past. This one is pretty notable, and well worth the read.

I'm sure the rules and regulations there will vary a bit, so that would have to be taken into consideration.

I think one of the lines here that has stood out to me the most over the years was basically "sure your friends love your BBQ. It's free. Would they actually pay for it?" and I think that is a pivotal thing to keep in mind before setting down that path.

Thanks I’ll check it out. I’m in the camp of I don’t really want to do it. My reasons are it’s a ton of work and I worry that I wouldn’t enjoy it anymore because of all the work.

Funny you sent that link, that was the thread that first lead me to this forum back in 2013-2014, I found it through a pickle recipe that was on that thread.

I smoke and grill because I enjoy it just like working on cars. I've had my own garage and body shop before. It then became a job that you had to do wheather you wanted to or not. Now I'm dreading doing it and it's not fun.
Instead if friend or family needs car help. I tell them to stop by this butcher and pickup up order. Then go pickup parts order here. Then bring me the car. LoL

Yeah, it would definitely take the fun out of it for me.

However, if someone with an already established bbq joint ask me to cook for them, I might consider. But owning/running/cooking etc... No thanks.

Back