THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Napper

Knows what a fatty is.
Hey,
After having temperature issues this past weekend at the Mobile competition I thought it was time to put some temperature control on the drums. This is my first try. I am using a fully mechanical controller and get about a 15 degree swing. Not bad for BBQ use! Not as good as when I used an electronic Omega controller but I like the simple mechanical design.

Works for me. I will put everything in conduit after I am sure everything works good.

I went from an UDS to a BADS. "Bad Ass Drum Smoker".

P1010030a.jpg

P1010029a.jpg

P1010032a.jpg

Are you sure this isn't a Popeil "set it n' ferget it" ?
Looks pretty cool! Are those E-box bungs in the intake holes? How many?
I've been setting a grate thermometer along with the pit therm and they run pretty close, but nothing like your setup. Could you explain it a bit more?

Yep on the E-box bungs. I was using the barrel manually when I first built it. The holes are cut for 1/2" NPT. So I put an 8" long 1/2 NPT Nipple in one hole to mount my fan. Only air is thru the 8" nipple in the auto mode.

I did a trial with an Omega controller. It does much tighter temperature control. It is auto tuning so it is much tighter control than just On/Off like the manual version. But I like the simple model.

I have to do more experiments on the design of the fire basket inside. Have seen many designs and trying to decide who has done it best. I have 6 more barrels left to experiment with!!!!

Grown men playing with fire......hope no one notices!!!!!!!!!!

Back